Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Going (Traverston & Violet Hill)


Name Description
Going (Traverston & Violethill) Robert Going of Cranagh, county Tipperary, who died in the early 1730s, left three sons, Robert of Traverston, James of Ballyphilip and Philip of Knockayne. The eldest son Robert married Jane Johnstone and they had six sons. Their three youngest sons were Thomas of Coolbea, county Cork, Richard of Bird Hill, county Tipperary and Philip of Monaquil, county Tipperary. Their second son, Robert of Traverston, succeeded his father and in the mid 19th century his grandson, Caleb Going, held a large estate in the parish of Doola with other lands in the parishes of Ballynaclogh and Kilnaneave, barony of Upper Ormond. In the 1870s Caleb Going of Traverston owned 2,590 acres in county Tipperary. Caleb Going died childless and a cousin, Robert Edward Going of Cragg, inherited Traverston. James Going of Belleisle, county Clare, was the third son of Robert and Jane Going. He had two sons, Robert of Cragg and James of Violet Hill. Robert's grandson eventually succeeded to Traverston. John Going of Cragg owned land in the parishes of Loughkeen, barony of Lower Ormond and Kilcomenty, barony of Owney and Arra in the mid 19th century. His estate amounted to 1,896 acres in the 1870s. James Going married Jane, daughter of Marcus Patterson, and lived at Violethill, county Clare. They had seven children. In the 1870s the Reverend James Going of Kilgarvan, Kenmare, county Kerry, owned 896 acres in county Clare. The Going's county Limerick estate was mainly in the parish of Killuran, barony of Tulla Lower.
Going (Ballyphilip, Co Tipperary) This family was a junior branch of the Going family of Traverston, Nenagh, county Tipperary. In 1811 Ambrose Going of Ballyphilip married Margaret Pennefather of New York, county Tipperary. In the mid 19th century his estate was mainly located in the parishes of Ballingarry, barony of Slievardagh and Templebeg, barony of Kilnamanagh Upper but Ambrose Going also held land in the parishes of Kilcooly, Modeshil and Mowney, barony of Slievardagh, Magowry and Rathcool, barony of Middlethird. His son William held land in the parish of Graystown, barony of Slievardagh. In the 1870s William Going of Ballyphilip owned 6,398 acres in county Tipperary and 19 acres in county Kilkenny. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Richard Going held the townland of Grange West, 157 acres in the parish of Caherconlish, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick. In November 1865 his estate at Grange was advertised for sale. It was held under a fee farm grant from Hugh Nelson Massy dated 1862. It was purchased by J. Gubbins. Premises in the parish of St Mary's Shandon, Cork city, belonging to William Going were advertised for sale in July 1859.
Atkins/Atkins-Going The genealogy of this family was recorded in the late 1830s. Robert Atkins of Fountainville, born 1704, married Elizabeth Ringrose of Moynoe, county Clare and had a large family. Their fifth son, Robert Atkins of Firville, married Mary Hastings, sister and heiress of Stephen Hastings of Forthenry, county Tipperary. Their sons, Robert Atkins and Stephen Hastings Atkins succeeded to Firville and Forthenry respectively. In 1798 Robert Atkins married Charlotte, daughter and co-heiress of Philip Going, of Monaquil, county Tipperary. Their son, Reverend Philip Going Atkins-Going of Firville, succeeded to Monaquil by the will of his maternal grandfather and took the additional name of Going. In the mid 1870s, Charlotte Henrietta Atkins of South Mall, Cork, owned 502 acres in county Tipperary. In November 1877 the sale of the estate of Charlotte Elizabeth and Henrietta Louisa Atkins including Monaquil was advertised. It was purchased in trust for R.H Colles, a minor. Stephen Hastings Atkins of Forthenry married Elizabeth O'Reilly and they had a son, Reverend Stephen Hastings Atkins, who held land in the parishes of Kilnaneave, barony of Upper Ormond and Templeachally, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary in the mid 19th century.