Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Macnamara (Moyriesk)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Scott (Cahiracon) In 1712 the Earl of Thomond leased Cahercon/Cahiracon, parish of Kilfiddane, and Killadysert, parish of Killadysert, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare, to Angel Scott in perpetuity. In 1781 Captain James Scott married Anne Bindon. The Scotts continued to reside at Cahiracon until the mid 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Bindon Scott, High Sheriff of county Clare 1840, held an estate mainly located in the parishes of Kilchreest, Kilfiddane, Killadysert, Kilmihil and Killard, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare. He also held land in the parishes of Quin, barony of Bunratty Upper, Abbey, barony of Burren and Rath and Ruan, barony of Inchiquin. Some of his lands in the baronies of Clonderlaw, county Clare, Iraghticonor, county Kerry, and in Limerick City, were sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in November 1851. Lands in the parishes of Rath and Ruan the estate of the Honourable Joseph D. Jackson and John Scott trustees of William Scott were offered for sale in March 1853. In November 1854 over 8,500 acres belonging to John Bindon Scott were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. The sale rentals include lithographs of Cahircon, Knappogue Castle and Quin Abbey. John Bindon Scott of Cahircon and Crevagh married Eliza Creagh of Cahirbane and they had a son James Creagh Richard Scott. The Scotts lived at Creevagh Beg in the parish of Quin in the later part of the 19th century. James C.R. Scott married Mary Ferguson of Dumbarton, Scotland in 1878. In the 1870s John [James?] C. Scott with an address at the Conservative Club, London, owned 6,431 acres in county Clare. The Scotts held about 450 acres at Faha, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, see sale rental of 23 June 1871.
Fitzgerald/Foster Vesey Fitzgerald (Moyriesk) This family of Fitzgeralds was originally Fitzgerald Fitzgibbon but the surname Fitzgibbon was dropped in the late 17th century after the family settled in county Clare. The Right Honourable James Fitzgerald, son of William Fitzgerald of Inchicronan, county Clare, married Catherine Vesey daughter and co heiress of the Reverend Henry Vesey. She was created Baroness Fitzgerald and Vesci in 1826. In the mid 19th century the Vesey Fitzgeralds held an estate in the barony of Bunratty Upper, county Clare, mainly located in the parish of Inchicronan but also in the parishes of Clooney, Doora, Quin and Templemaley and in the barony of Inchiquin, mainly in the parish of Kilkeedy, formerly belonging to the Macnamaras. Their house at Lahardan was in ruins by the time of the first Ordnance Survey. When the last Baron Fitzgerald and Vesci died in 1860 his sister Letitia Foster assumed the additional surname of Fitzgerald and Vesci and her children inherited the Fitzgerald Vesci estates in county Clare. In the 1870s her three sons William (of Derrybrick, parish of Kilmurry, Clonderalaw, county Clare and Moyvane, county Kerry), John and James owned 3,581, 2,224 and 1,047 acres respectively in the county. William also owned 2400 acres in county Kerry. In addition the youngest James Foster Fitzgerald Vesci of Moyriesk and Glantreague, near Clonbur, county Galway, also owned 3,715 acres in county Galway and 531 acres in county Louth. He wrote a book entitled 'A Practical Guide to the Valuation of rent in Ireland' and married his first cousin Henrietta Mahon of Castlegar. They lived at Mountbernard at the time of Griffith's Valuation. By 1916 John V. Fitzgerald had agree to the purchase of over 2,000 acres of his county Clare estate by the Congested Districts' Board.
Macnamara (Moyriesk) The Macnamaras were settled at Moyriesk, parish of Clooney, barony of Bunratty Upper, county Clare from the 17th century. In 1684 John Macnamara received a grant of 2,370 acres in the barony of Bunratty, including Moyriesk. Colonel Francis Macnamara was Member of Parliament for county Clare 1790-1798. His son was the well known duellist John "Fireball" Macnamara. His hell raising caused the loss of the family estates. In 1837 Lewis writes that Moriesk was bought by the father of Lord Fitzgerald and Vesci from the Macnamaras and that Knopouge Castle, then in the hands of William Scott, formerly belonged to the Macnamaras of Moriesk.