Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fleming

Description

Abbeyville


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fleming McTernan states that the Flemings came into possession of lands in Sligo in the wake of the Cromwellian settlement of the mid-seventeenth century. They held lands at various locations in the baronies of Leyny and Corran and intermarried with other Sligo families including the Knotts of Battlefield, the Jones of Ardnaglass as well as the Phibbs and the Ormes. The Irish Times reported in June 1864 that over 110 acres, the property of Anne Fleming at Wardfield, had been purchased by Mr. R.J. Gore for £850. In 1874 almost 250 acres, originally held on lease from Phillip Ormsby to Matthew Fleming, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court by Harriett Knight Corkran.
Handy A county Westmeath family, prominent Methodists, who owned land in the Killala area from at least the late 18th century. They made a large claim for damages after the 1798 rebellion. In 1859 Samuel Handy advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court, his house, demesne and mill at Ballintober, at one time part of the Orme estate. Other Handy property in the parish of Kilfian was subsequently sold. The property at Carrowmore, barony of Kilconnell, county Galway, which had been in the Handy family since the early 1700s, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in November and December 1858. An earlier sale, in June 1857, had included lands at Kilconnell, county Galway and the baronies of Tirawley, county Mayo and Corran, county Sligo. Lands in the parish of Aughrim are recorded as the propery of P. Handy at the time of the 1st Ordnance Survey. The Irish Times reported on a sale of Bennett and Handy property in the Landed Estates Court in July 1867. These lots were purchased by Mr. Findlater. In 1876 Samuel Handy of King's Co (county Offaly) held 2030 acres and a Samuel Handy of county Roscommon held 553 acres in county Mayo. At the same time Alexander K. Handy held over 350 acres in county Galway.
Wallace The house at Limepark is recorded as the seat of C. Wallace in 1837. Horatio Wallace was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Aughrim at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In December 1858 he and his wife Maria Jane, offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court lands in the baronies of Tyrawley, county Mayo, Corran, county Sligo and Kilconnell, county Galway. The original lease dated from 1783, the lands in Corran being leased between the Ormsby estate and Matthew Fleming. J.E. Wallis of Beaufort Square, London, is recorded as owning over 400 acres in county Galway in the 1870s.