Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Monsell (Limerick)

Family title

Baron Emly


Estate(s)

Name Description
Monsell (Limerick) Originally from England, this family sold their estates in Somerset and purchased estates in county Limerick. They were living at Tervoe by the mid 17th century. By the late 18th century they held Tervoe and other lands from the Wilsons of Cahirconlish on a lease renewable for ever. In 1751 William Monsell of Tervoe married Dymphna Pery, aunt of the 1st Earl of Limerick, and they were the grandparents of William Monsell, Baron Emly, Member of Parliament for county Limerick 1847-1873, Under Secretary of State for the Colonies 1868-1870 and Postmaster-Gereral, 1870-1873. Correspondence relating to his political career can be found in the National Library of Ireland and in the National Archives. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Lord Emly held land in county Clare in the parishes of Killeely, barony of Bunratty Lower and Quin, barony of Bunratty Upper and in county Limerick in the parishes of Ballycahane, Kilkeedy and Monasteranenagh, barony of Pubblebrien, Corcomohide, barony of Connello Upper and Anhid, barony of Coshma. Lands at Kilbreedy, the property of William Monsell, were sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1856. Mr. Coppinger was the purchaser. In the 1870s his county Clare estate was comprised of 464 acres and his county Limerick estate of 2,246 acres. He was also the proprietor of 700 acres in county Kerry. The 1761 rental of the estate of Robert Clive lists William Monsell as tenant of "Plassey otherwise Ballykilty".
Clive (Co Clare) Robert Clive, known as "Clive of India", bought an estate in county Clare from the Dublin banker Henry Mitchell circa 1760. Mitchell had bought the two portions of his estate from General John Thomas Fowke and the trustees of Henry O'Brien, Earl of Thomond about twenty years earlier. The estate was comprised of dispersed pockets of land mainly located to the west and north of what is now Shannon Airport. Clive purchased the head rent of these lands which were leased to such families as the Spaights, Hickmans, Lewins, Creaghs, Wolfes, MacDonnells. His agent was Caleb Powell. Logan estimates the estate to have been over 12,000 acres. Robert Clive was created Baron Clive of Plassey [Ballykilty], county Clare, in 1762. The 1761 rental of the estate of Robert Clive lists William Monsell as tenant of "Plassey otherwise Ballykilty". Clive died in 1774 and was succeeded by his son Edward who married the sister and heir of George E.H.A. Herbert, Earl of Powis, who held the head rent of an estate at Castleisland, county Kerry. In 1804 Edward was created Earl of Powis. In 1790 Edward Clive visited counties Kerry, Limerick and Clare. Following this visit Stephen Rice was appointed agent to the estates in Edward Clive's control in counties Kerry and Clare. Before his death in 1839 Edward Clive had specified that his Irish estates were to be sold to pay off any debts due from the consolidation of the Clive and Herbert estates. His son Edward had inherited the Herbert estates of his uncle. The county Clare estate of the Clives was sold in 1842 and Logan lists the names of the tenants in 1761, 1841 and the purchasers. The purchasers included names such as Gabbett (Ballykilty), Caswell (Rosmadda), McMahon, Hickman (Carrigoran), Roseingrave, Brady and Ball (Fortfergus).
Hodges (Old Abbey & Burrane) Dore gives a detailed history of this family in counties Limerick and Clare. The Hodges were established in the Shanagolden, barony of Shanid, locality of county Limerick by the mid 18th century. William Hodges, who appears to have held land in both counties, married Frances Greene of Old Abbey. Their son, George Hodges, maried Mary Monsell of Burrane, county Clare and it was their descendant, George Crowe Hodges, who was living at Burrane at the time of Griffith's Valuation. George Hodges and John Morgan are recorded as proprietors of the townland of Park in the Ordnance Survey Name Books. Lands belonging to George William Hodges and George Crowe Hodges at Glencar, barony of Kilnamanagh, county Tipperary and Castle Quarter, barony of Lower Connello, county Limerick were advertised for sale in November 1850 and other lands at Knockdromroon, barony of Connello in May 1852. The Freeman's Journal reported that Charles Gaussen was the purchaser.