Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Sampson (Scarriff & Belmont)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Sampson (Williamstadt) In the 1870s Francis Sampson, MD, was the owner of over 1400 acres in county Galway and over 400 acres in county Clare. His address is given as Williamstadt, Whitegate. He appears to have been in possession of the Blake estate at Meelick in the parish of Clonrush in the 1850s although this property is described as "in chancery" in Griffith's Valuation. In 1906 125 acres of untenanted land and a herd's house at Drummaan West were in the possession of Francis C. Sampson. Dr Francis C. Sampson was a grandson of John Sampson who married Marcella O'Callaghan. Dr Sampson practiced in Dublin and married Mary Brady and they had a son also known as Dr Francis Cornelius Sampson of Scariff. He married Constance O'Callaghan of Kilgory. Dr Francis C. Sampson Junior lived at Moynoe House at the end of the 19th century.
Sampson (Scarriff & Belmont) At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Sampson held six townlands in the parish of Moynoe, barony of Tulla Upper, and also land in the parish of Killokennedy, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare. George Sampson also owned land in four county Clare baronies. Lilla Sampson in her book on the Sampson family gives genealogical trees for the descendants of John Sampson and his wife Marcella O'Callaghan. They had three sons, the eldest of whom was Denis. He married Charlotte Petré and they had a number of sons including John (father of Donat Sampson of Bayswater, London), Dr Francis C. Sampson and George Sampson of Belmont, Castle Connell, county Limerick, who married Anna Lyons of Croome House, county Limerick. They were the parents of Colonel George Dennis Sampson. The Sampsons appear to have acquired extensive estates in county Clare by the 1870s as Donat Sampson of London owned 8,501 acres in the county and George Sampson of Belmount, county Limerick, owned 3,596 acres. They both held untenanted land in the Scariff district in 1906.
Fitzgerald/Foster Vesey Fitzgerald (Moyriesk) This family of Fitzgeralds was originally Fitzgerald Fitzgibbon but the surname Fitzgibbon was dropped in the late 17th century after the family settled in county Clare. The Right Honourable James Fitzgerald, son of William Fitzgerald of Inchicronan, county Clare, married Catherine Vesey daughter and co heiress of the Reverend Henry Vesey. She was created Baroness Fitzgerald and Vesci in 1826. In the mid 19th century the Vesey Fitzgeralds held an estate in the barony of Bunratty Upper, county Clare, mainly located in the parish of Inchicronan but also in the parishes of Clooney, Doora, Quin and Templemaley and in the barony of Inchiquin, mainly in the parish of Kilkeedy, formerly belonging to the Macnamaras. Their house at Lahardan was in ruins by the time of the first Ordnance Survey. When the last Baron Fitzgerald and Vesci died in 1860 his sister Letitia Foster assumed the additional surname of Fitzgerald and Vesci and her children inherited the Fitzgerald Vesci estates in county Clare. In the 1870s her three sons William (of Derrybrick, parish of Kilmurry, Clonderalaw, county Clare and Moyvane, county Kerry), John and James owned 3,581, 2,224 and 1,047 acres respectively in the county. William also owned 2400 acres in county Kerry. In addition the youngest James Foster Fitzgerald Vesci of Moyriesk and Glantreague, near Clonbur, county Galway, also owned 3,715 acres in county Galway and 531 acres in county Louth. He wrote a book entitled 'A Practical Guide to the Valuation of rent in Ireland' and married his first cousin Henrietta Mahon of Castlegar. They lived at Mountbernard at the time of Griffith's Valuation. By 1916 John V. Fitzgerald had agree to the purchase of over 2,000 acres of his county Clare estate by the Congested Districts' Board.
Wallnutt in 1854 John Sampson leased to Charles Wallnutt over 4,000 acres of Turkenagh and Poulagouna mountains, parish of Moynoe, barony of Tulla Upper, county Clare. By the early 1860s Charles Wallnutt was bankrupt and his estate advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. It included Springfield House, Ballyminogue, barony of Tulla Upper. Other properties at Castlebank, parish of St Patricks and Henrystown, North Liberties, Limerick, the estate of Thomas Wallnutt, were advertised for sale in February 1863. There are references to the Walnutt family of Thomond Gate in the sale of the distillery premises in 1868.