Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Blood Smyth


Estate(s)

Name Description
Blood Smyth In 1784 Matthew Blood, a Lieutenant in the 57th regiment, son of John Blood of Castlefergus, parish of Doora, barony of Bunratty Upper, county Clare, assumed the additional name of Smyth after his marriage to Dorothea Julia Ingram, a great granddaughter of the Reverend Thomas Smyth, Bishop of Limerick 1695-1725. In the mid 19th century Matthew Blood Smyth held land in the parishes of Doora and Quin, barony of Bunratty Upper. This estate amounted to 954 acres in the 1870s. In 1910 the Venerable William Augustus Blood Smyth, Archdeacon of Killaloe, sold Castlefergus to his cousin, Captain Charles F. Blood of Ballykilty, parish of Quin.