The Anglo Norman family of Dalton was established in county Clare from the early 17th century. Michael Dalton of Woodpark, parish of Bunratty, barony of Bunratty Lower, married Mary Anne Fitzgerald of Castlekeale in 1761. The family was still resident there in 1837 but the house was leased to John Kennedy by the time of Griffith’s Valuation. It is evident from the sale of lands at Kilmurry in county Clare by Edward Neville Dalton first advertised in June 1854 that the Daltons were leasing land from the Stacpooles. Woodpark itself and other lands were advertised for sale in October 1854.