Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hewson (Trughanacmy)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Hewson (Trughanacmy) George M. Hewson of Strand Street, Tralee, owned over 600 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. Lands at Camp, county Kerry, the property of George Massy Hewson, were offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in 1883 but the sale was adjourned. In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Name Books had recorded John Hewson as the owner of lands in Castleisland parish.
Hewson (Castle Hewson) This family was settled at Castle Hewson, Askeaton, county Limerick from the end of the 17th century. The senior branch continued to reside at Castle Hewson into the late 20th century, while junior branches resided at Enniscouch and Hollywood. By the mid 19th century the main part of their estate was in the parish of Askeaton, barony of Connello Lower but they also held land in other parishes in this barony and in the baronies of Kenry and Coshma. In the 1870s George James Hewson of Hollywood owned 666 acres, John B. Hewson of Castle Hewson 1,435 acres and Robert Hewson of Ennishcorish owned 398 acres in county Limerick. In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Field Name Books record John Hewson of Enniscoush, Rathkeale, as the owner of the townlands in the parish of Castleisland, county Kerry.