Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Sandes


Estate(s)

Name Description
Sandes/Collis-Sandes Maurice Sandes was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Brosna, Ratass and Tralee, barony of Trughanacmy, at the time of Griffith's Valuation while William Sandes held several townlands in Kilgarrylander parish in the same barony. The estate of Maurice F. Sandes of Oakpark, Tralee, amounted to over 11,000 acres in the 1870s. In 1906 the Congested Districts Board reported that terms had been arranged for the purchase of lands on the Collis-Sandes estate and in 1909 the Board reported that almost 10,000 acres had been acquired from F.S. Collis-Sandes.
Collis The Collis family seem to have become established in county Kerry after the Cromwellian settlement and rose to prominence in the county as a number of them served as High Sheriff. The Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate that Stephen Collis acted as agent for the Earls of Listowel. In the 1870s the estate of Stephen Collis of Tierclea, Tarbert amounted to over 3500 acres. The estate of William Collis, of Lismore, barony of Trughanacmy, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court, in May 1851. A further 299 acres of Collis lands in the same barony were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in April 1871. In 1863, part of the estate of John Collis, including lands at Barrow, houses in Tralee and the rental of townlands in teh barony of Coshlea, county Limerick, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. In 1906 terms had been arranged by the Congested Districts Board for the purchase of over 8800 acres of the Collis-Sandes estate in county Kerry.
Sandes (Iraghticonnor) Smith indicates that Lancelot Sandes was granted an estate in Kerry in 1667 under the Acts of Settlement. The estate of Charles L. Sandes was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Aghavallen, barony of Iraghticonnor, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Ordnance Survey Name Books noted in the 1830s that he held lands from the Trinity College estates.William Sandes held several townlands in the parishes of Kilnaughtin, Knockanure and Murher, in the same barony. In 1863,1864 and 1865, over 2000 acres of William Sandes estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The estate of Thomas Sandes, of Sallowglen, Tarbert, amounted to over 7000 acres in the 1870s. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Charles Lancelot Sandes also held some land in the parish of Morgans, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick. In the 1870s his son Charles Sandes of Carrigafoyle Castle and Bayview, Clontarf, county Dublin, owned 1,208 acres in county Limerick and 227 acres in county Kerry.