Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Maunsell (Ballywilliam)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Canny (Newmarket on Fergus) This family was resident in the Newmarket on Fergus locality of county Clare from the early 19th century. In the mid 19th century Matthew Canny held townlands in the parishes of Feenagh, Drumline (from John R. Miller) and Bunratty (from John Westropp), barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare. In the 1870s Denis J. Canny owned 683 acres in county Clare. This acreage made up of the lands of Ballycasey and Tullyvariga, barony of Bunratty Lower, was advertised for sale in March 1879. The details of the sale rental show that Ballycasey was leased to Denis and John Canny in 1823 by Sir John Riggs Miller. The house was subleased to Denis Kennedy at the time of the sale. Dr Denis Joseph Canny was the son of Mathew Canny and Margaret Taaffe and John and Jane appear to be his siblings. Denis Canny, a bankrupt, was dead by 1879 and his estate was sold on behalf of his assignees. The Irish Times reported that John R. Miller was the purchaser. By a lease dated 17 February 1851 John Westropp of Carnelly (and later of Attyflin) leased Clonmoney to Matthew Canny of Clonmoney, who apparently subleased it to Michael Macnamara. Macnamara's executors adverstised the sale of his interest in 1880.
Lloyd (Beechmount) In 1805 Colonel Thomas Lloyd purchased Beechmount in the parish of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower. He was the son of the Reverend Thomas Lloyd and his second wife, Frances, daughter of John Bateman of Altavilla, county Limerick. In 1797, their son Thomas married Catherine Evans of Miltown Castle. Thomas and Catherine were the parents of Thomas of Beechmount and Eyre of Prospect, county Limerick. Colonel Thomas F. Lloyd owned 209 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s while his brother Arthur Lloyd also with an address at Beechmount owned 304 acres. Their half sister married John Maunsell of the Ballywilliam family and the Maunsell entry in ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' suggests she succeeded to much of her father's estate. Cloonkerry House appears to have been a Lloyd residence in the mid 19th century. Elizabeth Lloyd who lived there at the time of Griffith’s Valuation was a Barclay. She was married to Reverend John Lloyd, fourth son of Col Thomas Lloyd of Beechmount. Her grandson Thomas Lloyd later lived at Thornberry. Part (420 acres) of the Jacob estate at Johnstown, county Tipperary, sold to Elizabeth Lloyd, widow, in 1853, was offered for sale again in November 1875 and June 1876. Some lots were purchased in trust by John Mockler and Michael Dalton.
Maunsell (Oakly Park & Blackwater) This was a junior branch of the Maunsell family of Ballywilliam, county Limerick. Their main residence was at Oakly Park, Celbridge, county Kildare. They held land in the parishes of Caherconlish and Inch St Lawrence, barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick. In the 1870s their estate amounted to 1,190 acres in county Limerick and 1,308 acres in county Kildare. In 1877 Richard Mark Synnot Maunsell married as his second wife Mary Eliza, daughter and heiress of Samuel Caswell of Blackwater, county Clare and their son Richard John Caswell Maunsell succeeded his father in 1907. By 1916 R.J.C. Maunsell had agreed to sell his 2,057 acres of tenanted land in county Clare to the Congested Districts' Board.
Maunsell (Ballywilliam) Richard Maunsell (1721-1790), second son of Richard Maunsell, Member of Parliament for Limerick city 1740-1761, settled at Ballywilliam, parish of Rathkeale, county Limerick. He married Helena Toler and was succeeded by his eldest son, George, who married Sarah Meares in 1779. They had eleven sons. In the mid 19th century the Ballywilliam estate was in the parishes of Kilscannell and Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, Crecora, barony of Pubblebrien and Killeedy, barony of Glenquin. The lands of Annaghrosty, barony of Pubblebrien were advertised for sale in June 1851.The estate was comprised of 4,231 acres in the 1870s. Two of the eleven sons of George and Sarah Maunsell married members of the Lloyd family of Beechmount, county Limerick and in 1851 one of their grandsons, John Maunsell of Edenmore, Raheny, county Dublin, married his cousin, Catherine Lloyd, described in ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' as the only surviving daughter and "heiress" of Thomas Lloyd of Beechmount [she was the only surviving child of Thomas Lloyd's first marriage]. In the 1870s John Maunsell of Edenmore owned over 5,000 acres in county Limerick. George Maunsell of Milford was a younger brother of Daniel Maunsell of Ballywilliam. The fee simple estate of Frances Maunsell, [widow of George] in the lands of Sreelane, barony of Clanwilliam, which included the mills of Messrs John Norris Russell and Sons and the "newly built" Plassy House plus the "splendid residence" of the Dowager Lady Massy called Milford House was advertised for sale in July 1868.
Maunsell (Limerick) The Maunsell family were originally from Buckinghamshire. They settled at Mocollop, county Waterford, in the early 16th century and received lands in counties Galway and Limerick in the 17th century. Richard Maunsell settled in Limerick in the 18th century and represented the city in Parliament from 1741 to 1761. From his second son descend the Maunsells of Ballywilliam. His eldest son Thomas married Dorothea Waller of Castle Waller and had four sons, Richard died in America, Thomas of Plassey, Robert of Bank Place, Limerick and the Reverend George, Dean of Leighlin, who married Helena Hedges Eyre of Macroom Castle and Mount Hedges, county Cork. Robert Maunsell had a distinguished career in India and was a founder of Maunsells' Bank with his brother Thomas and Sir Matthew Blakiston on his return to Ireland in 1789. The descendants of Robert's fourth (Henry of Fantstown, Kilmallock) and sixth (General Frederick of Gortbwee, Clonan and Glenwood) sons were living in county Limerick in the late 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Major Robert Maunsell, [eldest son of Henry Maunsell of Fantstown] held land in the parishes of Fedamore, barony of Smallcounty and in the parishes of Monagay, Newcastle and Killeedy, barony of Glenquin.