Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Coltsmann


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cronin (Park) The Cronins, descended from a Gaelic family, appear to have been settled in the Killarney area since at least the early 18th century. The estate amounted to over 10,000 acres in Kerry by the 1870s following Daniel Cronin’s inheriting of the Coltsmann (Flesk Castle) estate in the mid-19th century. The representatives of Henry M. Cronin were the proprietors of over 700 acres at the same time. In 1854, over 7000 acres of this estate, in which members of the Coltsmann and Godfrey families also had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Purchasers of lots included Denis Shine Lawlor, The McGillycuddy and Dr. Maybury as well as lands purchased in trust. Further property, mostly in county Cork, was offered for sale in October of the same year. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Daniel Cronin was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Killaha, Kilnanare and Nohavaldaly, county Kerry, as well as the parish of Kilmocomoge, barony of Bantry, county Cork. His sister, Christina Duggan, formerly Cronin, was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilnanare, Molahiffe and Nohavaldaly, barony of Magunihy, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. In the 1870s she was the proprietor of over 700 acres in county Kerry. For over a century the Cronins had a lease from the Crown of lands in the parish of Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow, county Cork. When the lease expired in the early 1830s the property was placed in the care of the Commissioners of Woods and Forests.
Coltsmann The Coltsmann estate originated with John Coltsmann, an English merchant who came to Ireland in the early nineteenth century. Some of his family married into well-known Kerry families including the Godfreys and the Cronins. The estate eventually passed into the latter family who took the name Cronin-Coltsmann. In July 1854, over 7000 acres of the Cronin estate, in which members of the Coltsmann and Godfrey families also had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Most of this acreage was in the barony of Duhallow, county Cork, and included houses and premises in Killarney, county Kerry. The same property was advertised for sale again in October of the same year and part of it again in February 1855. Daniel C. Coltsmann was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilcummin, Kilnanare and Nohovaldaly, barony of Magunihy and the parish of Killeentierna, barony of Trughanacmy, county Kerry at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, while his county Cork estate was in parishes of Kilmeen and Nohavaldaly, barony of Duhallow. The estate amounted to over 10,000 acres in Kerry in the 1870s as well as over 4000 acres in county Cork. Catherine Coltsmann, of Dublin, owned over 2000 acres in county Kerry at the same time.
Murphy (Clifton) The Murphy family of Clifton, Montenotte, Cork, was a junior branch of the Murphy family, brewers of Cork. Nicholas Murphy fifth son of Jeremiah Murphy lived at Clifton. His third son John Nicholas was created a Count of the Papal States and in 1855 married Alice Mary daughter of Daniel Leahy. He was Mayor of Cork in 1854. At the time of Griffith's Valuation he held an estate in the parishes of Askeaton and Tomdeely, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick. The land in the parish of Tomdeely was held from Lord Southwell. In the 1870s he owned 1,352 acres in county Limerick and 24 acres in Cork city. His only child Margaret May married in 1879 as his first wife Daniel John Cronin Coltsmann of Glenflesk Castle, Killarney, county Kerry.