Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kelly/Roche Kelly


Estate(s)

Name Description
Kelly (Limerick) James Kelly of Limerick is recorded as the owner of 1700 acres in county Leitrim in 1878. This may be the Kelly family of Islandmore, Croome, county Limerick.
Kelly/Roche Kelly Descended from an O’Kelly of county Kilkenny, the Kelly family were established in county Limerick by the early 18th century. In 1753 Michael Kelly married Christian, daughter of John Roche of Limerick and Ballintlea, parish of Kilfintinan, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare. They had two sons, John Peter Kelly of Ballintlea and Firgrove, parish of Drumline, barony of Bunratty Lower, who purchased the estates of the Ingoldsby Massy family in county Limerick in 1811 and Thomas Kelly, of Shannonview, county Limerick, who died in 1869 leaving two daughters. John Peter's son, James Michael Kelly of Rockstown Castle, county Limerick and Cahircon, county Clare, was Member of Parliament for county Limerick 1844-1847 and in 1834 married Frances Maria, only daughter of Edward Roche of Trabolgan, county Cork and sister of the 1st Baron Fermoy. She directed that all her grandchildren should adopt the surname Roche-Kelly. At the time of Griffith's Valuation James Kelly held an estate in the parishes of Caherelly, Ludden and Rochestown, barony of Clanwilliam and Fedamore in the baronies of Clanwilliam and Smallcounty. In the 1870s his representative owned 2177 acres in county Limerick, 2826 acres in county Kildare and 433 acres in county Dublin. By the 1870s Fitzjames Kelly of Ballintlea owned 184 acres in county Clare while Michael Kelly of Firgrove owned 158 acres. An estate of 1,700 acres in county Mayo, belonging to Michael Roche-Kelly of Firgrove, Bunratty, county Clare, was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 11 Dec 1913. Members of the Roche-Kelly family still reside at Ballintlea.
Roche (Shannon View) A branch of the Roche family descended from Stephen Roche of Pallas, county Limerick, late 17th century, who married Anastasia daughter and co heir with her sister Catherine Apjohn of Thomas Lysaght. Their third son Philip of Shannon View married Margaret daughter of John Kelly of Limerick. Their descendants intermarried with members of the Whyte family of Loughbrickland, county Down. From Philip's eldest brother Stephen descend the Roches of Rye Hill, county Galway. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Charles Philip Roche held an estate in the parishes of Kilbradran, barony of Shanid and Corcomohide, barony of Connello Upper, county Limerick. His estate of 1,208 acres was advertised for sale in November 1861. In the early 1840s the agent for this estate was Stephen Edward Collis of Listowel, county Kerry. In the 1870s Charles P. Roche of Dublin owned 1,222 acres in county Limerick.
Barry (Friarstown) A junior branch of the Barrys of Buttevant, county Cork, settled in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick, in the 16th century. By the mid 17th century they were established at Friarstown, which they possibly acquired under the protection of the Ingoldsby family. Later they held much of their estate from the Kellys who purchased the Ingoldsby Massy estate. John Barry of Friarstown married Mary O'Shaughnessy and they had three sons, James of Bellevue, Thomas of Caherline and John of Sandville. The estate of Thomas Barry at Ballysallagh, Caherline and Bawnbee, barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale in March 1860. The Barry estate was in the parish of Rochestown and in the 1870s amounted to 644 acres belonging to James Grene Barry of Sandville. By the mid 19th century James Barry of Sandville had acquired the townland of Ballyphilip, parish of Croom, barony of Coshma, formerly the property of the Yielding family. see http://www.libraryireland.com/Pedigrees1/Barry3Ithe.php
O'Halloran Based on information in the common place book of Thady O'Halloran (1727-1798) the O'Hallorans appear to have had an estate in the Quin locality of county Clare in the 18th century. This estate included Ballycunneen and Firgrove, both properties previously in the possession of the Hickey family with whom the O'Hallorans intermarried. They passed from the O'Hallorans to the Roche Kellys in the 19th century. In 1853 the Freeman's Journal recorded that lands owned by Peter O'Halloran in the barony of Bunratty were sold in the Incumbered Estates Court to a Mr. Bunton for over £3800. A detailed history of the family and their land holding is given by Patrick Hogan in his articles on Thady O'Halloran. The O'Hallorans still resided at Ballycunneen at the time of Griffith's Valuation but O'Halloran land ownership in county Clare was reduced to about 200 acres in the 1870s.
Roche (Trabolgan) The Roches were established at Trabolgan, Whitegate, county Cork, from the mid 17th century. In 1703 Edmund Roche of Trabolgan purchased over 2,500 acres in the barony of Barrymore, forfeited by Walter Coppinger and his son James. In 1672 Edward Roche married Catherine Lavallin of Walterstown, county Cork, and they had four sons. The eldest, Francis, died unmarried in 1755 and all the Roche estate was eventually inherited by his grandnephew, Edward Roche of Kildinan. In 1805 Edward Roche married Margaret Honoria Curtin, a relative of Edmund Burke. Their son, Edmund Burke Roche, was created Baron Fermoy in 1856. The main part of the Roche estate was in the parish of Rathcormack, barony of Barrymore, but some of it was located in the parishes of Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow, Ardnageehy, Gortroe, Ballycurrany, Dunbulloge, Lisgoold and Templebodan, barony of Barrymore, Aghada, Garryvoe and Trabolgan, barony of Imokilly and Whitechurch, barony of Cork. Edmund B. Roche was among the principal lessors in the parish of Ringagonagh, barony of Decies-within-Drum, county Waterford in 1851. In 1877 the 2nd Baron Fermoy married the Honourable Cecilia O'Grady of Rockbarton, daughter of the 3rd Viscount Guillamore. In the mid 1870s she is recorded as the owner of 4,977 acres in county Limerick. At the same time Lord Fermoy of Trabolgan is recorded as owning 15,543 acres in county Cork and 744 acres in county Waterford. In November 1880 the Kildinan estate in the barony of Barrymore, the lands of Glashybeg, barony of Duhallow and Balinvarrig, barony of Cork, were advertised for sale with the lands of Gurtnadidhy and Ballincourty, barony of Decies within Drum, county Waterford. The total acreage amounted to 8,178 acres.