Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hare (Listowel)

Family title

Earls of Listowel


Estate(s)

Name Description
Hare (Listowel) The Hare family had come to Ireland after the Cromwellian settlement and acquired property initially in Dublin and later in Cork. Their influence extended to Kerry at the end of the eighteenth century when Richard Hare purchased 20,000 acres of the Knight of Kerry's estate around Listowel. His son William afterwards became first Baron Ennismore and later Earl of Listowel. The main family seat was at Convamore, county Cork. The Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate that Stephen Collis acted as their agent in Kerry. Andrew Hare was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Aglish, barony of Magunihy, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Earl of Listowel was the lessor of several townlands in the parishes of Ardfert, Duagh, Finuge, Kilcaragh, Kilmoyly, KIlshenane, Killahan, Kiltomy and O'Dorney, barony of Clanmaurice, county Kerry, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The estate also held property in the parishes of Duagh, Dysert, Kilconly and Listowel in the barony of Iraghticonnor. In 1854 the estate was petitioner to the sale of 150 acres of the estate of Edward Church, at Kilmolane, barony of Iraghticonnor, formerly lands owned by the Raymonds. The estate amounted to almost 26,000 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s as well as over 5,000 in county Cork. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the county Cork estate was in the parishes of Kilmeen (Duhallow), Grenagh (Barretts), Ballyhooly, Killathy, Litter and Mallow (Fermoy), Glanworth (Condons and Clangibbon), while the Dowager Countess held land in the parishes of Churchtown and Kilbroney, barony of Orrery and Kilmore, St Michaels and Whitechurch, barony of Cork. In the mid 19th century the Earl of Listowel also held an estate in the parishes of Aghnameadle and Kilnaneave, barony of Upper Ormond, county Tipperary. This estate was advertised for sale in March 1861. The Irish Times reports that the purchasers included Messers. John Dwyer, Francis Trent, William Bolton and Peter Ryan. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Honourable Henry Hare held land in the parishes of Castletown, Doon and Oola, barony of Coonagh, and Askeaton, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick. In the 1870s the Honourable Richard Hare of Devonport, England, owned 3,687 acres in county Limerick. He was a brother of the 2nd Earl of Listowel. His nephew Robert Dillon Hare of Ballymore owned 944 acres in county Cork.
Fitzmaurice (Earl of Kerry) Thomas Fitzmaurice, 1st Earl of Kerry (1668 - 16 March 1741), was the son of William FitzMaurice, 20th Baron of Kerry and Lixnaw. He married Anne Petty, the daughter of scientist and philosopher Sir William Petty and Elizabeth Waller, Baroness Shelburne, in 1692. The 1st Earl of Kerry had two younger brothers, William of Gallane, county Kerry, ancestor of the Fitzmaurices of Springfield Castle, county Limerick and John who had an only child Anne who married her cousin of Springfield Castle. In 1703 William Fitzmaurice of Gullane, county Kerry, bought the estate of Sir John FitzGerald in the barony of Connello, county Limerick for £5,008. Francis, the 3rd Earl of Kerry was mostly an absentee landlord, his estates being administered by agents including Christopher Julian. Dickson writes that he sold much of his Kerry estates to Richard Hare in the 1780s. With his death in 1818 the connection between the Earls of Kerry and Lixnaw came to an end. The title was inherited by the Marquis of Lansdowne of Derreen, county Kerry who owned 1,526 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s.