Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Butler (Waterville)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Butler (Waterville) The Waterville branch of the Butler family descended from Whitwell Butler who married into the Yielding family. In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Name Books record Whitwell Butler, Belville, Caherciveen, as agent for the Blennerhassett lands in Caher Parish. James Butler of Waterville owned over 1400 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. At the same time Arabella Butler was the proprietor of over 700 acres. In 1906 terms had been arranged by the Congested Districts Board for the purchase of over 150 acres of the Butler estate in county Kerry. In 1909 the Board reported that this land had been purchased. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 500 acres of the Butler estate, then owned by minors, in 1916. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, James Butler was among the principal lessors in the parish of Ballinadee, barony of East Carbery, county Cork. In the 1870s Margaret Butler was the owner of over 700 acres in that county.
Davis (Dromdihy) William Davis was agent to the Brooke estate in county Cork in the early 19th century. His son, Roger Green Davis, succeeded his father in this role. In the mid 19th century Roger Green Davis held an estate in the parishes of Ardagh, Clonpriest, Ightermurragh, Killeagh, Kilmacdonogh and Youghal, barony of Imokilly, county Cork, much of it was leased from the Brooke estate. Roger G. Davis was the petitioner for the sale of the estate of John Kidney, a minor, at Pike Park, Youghal, in September 1860 and he was the petitioner for the sale of John Joyce's estate at Ballinlough/Ballynalahagh, barony of Imokilly in 1864. The 493 acre estate of Roger Green Davis at Drumdiah, barony of Imokilly, county Cork and Railstown, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale in July 1863. Railstown and over 1,400 acres in the baronies of Imokilly and Fermoy were advertised for sale in November 1872 by the trustees and executors of Roger Green Davis, deceased. Roger Green Davis had a son, John, a barrister, and a daughter, Anne Margaret, who, in 1847, married James Butler of Waterville, county Kerry. The Butler genealogy in Burkes (1904) states that Roger Green Davis was a son of William Davis and his wife Margaret, daughter of Roger Green of Youghal. Margaret Butler of Dublin owned 527 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. At the same time the representatives of Roger Greene Davis owned 2,253 acres in county Cork. In the mid 19th century Roger G. Davis' son, John G. Davis, held five townlands in the parish of Rahan, barony of Fermoy, county Cork. [In the 1870s John Davis of Rathpeacon, Cork, owned 3,167 acres in county Cork. ]