Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Taylor (Dunkerron South)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Taylor (Dunkerron South) Lewis records Dr. Taylor, an eminent member of the Cork Scientific Institution, as resident at Dunkerron Castle, in Templenoe parish in 1837. Over 10,000 acres of the estate of Adrian Taylor, in which members of the Orpen and Warren families had an interest, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in May 1855. In the 1870s Adrian Taylor, MD, of Kilgarvan, was the owner of over 2000 acres in county Kerry
Palmer (Dunkerron) In 1835 Robert Samuel Palmer of 4 Trafalgar Square, London, married Anna Maria Deane Spread daughter of Charles Spread, agent to Lord Lansdowne and his wife Anne, daughter of Roger Sheehy. The Spreads were also related to the county Limerick families of Deane and Odell. Robert Samuel Palmer was the son of the Reverend John Palmer (born 1752) of Great Torrington, Devonshire and a grandson of the Reverend John Palmer, Chancellor of Ferns and Dean of Cashel and his wife Mary Reynolds, sister of Sir Joshua Reynolds. Mary Palmer eldest daughter of Dean Palmer married Morrough O'Brien Earl of Inchiquin and 1st Marquess of Thomond. In the 1870s Robert S. Palmer, 4 Trafalgar Square, London, owned 2,104 acres in county Kerry, 1,681 acres in county Limerick and 4 acres in county Tipperary. Some of his Irish estate appears to have been acquired from the Taylor family of Dunkerron, county Kerry, post Griffith's Valuation. The Taylor estate was advertised for sale in 1855. Robert Samuel Palmer's daughter was Lady Emily Anna Colomb of Dromquinna, Kenmare, county Kerry. She died in 1907. Her sisters married William Robert Hood Rochfort and Sir Francis Blackwood, who also owned an estate in county Kerry.