Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Blackwood


Estate(s)

Name Description
Blackwood Sir Henry Blackwood held property in the parish of Killiney, barony of Corkaguiny, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His representatives held several townlands in the parish of Dysert, barony of Clanmaurice at the same time. The estate amounted to over 1900 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. This estate may be connected with the Blackwood family of Clandeboye, county Down, afterwards Marquesses of Dufferin and Ava.
Palmer (Dunkerron) In 1835 Robert Samuel Palmer of 4 Trafalgar Square, London, married Anna Maria Deane Spread daughter of Charles Spread, agent to Lord Lansdowne and his wife Anne, daughter of Roger Sheehy. The Spreads were also related to the county Limerick families of Deane and Odell. Robert Samuel Palmer was the son of the Reverend John Palmer (born 1752) of Great Torrington, Devonshire and a grandson of the Reverend John Palmer, Chancellor of Ferns and Dean of Cashel and his wife Mary Reynolds, sister of Sir Joshua Reynolds. Mary Palmer eldest daughter of Dean Palmer married Morrough O'Brien Earl of Inchiquin and 1st Marquess of Thomond. In the 1870s Robert S. Palmer, 4 Trafalgar Square, London, owned 2,104 acres in county Kerry, 1,681 acres in county Limerick and 4 acres in county Tipperary. Some of his Irish estate appears to have been acquired from the Taylor family of Dunkerron, county Kerry, post Griffith's Valuation. The Taylor estate was advertised for sale in 1855. Robert Samuel Palmer's daughter was Lady Emily Anna Colomb of Dromquinna, Kenmare, county Kerry. She died in 1907. Her sisters married William Robert Hood Rochfort and Sir Francis Blackwood, who also owned an estate in county Kerry.