Members of the Rae family, whose estate was centred on Keel House, Castlemaine, held over 5000 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. Francis Rae was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilgarrylander at the time of Griffith's Valuation while Robert Rae was the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Killorglin at the same time. In July 1853 over 1,300 acres of land near the village of Killorglin was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court, the property of Robert and Elizabeth Anne Rae. In 1906 terms had been arranged by the Congested Districts Board for the purchase of over 600 acres of the estate of W.L. Rae in county Kerry. In 1909 the Board reported that this land had been purchased.