Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bland


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bland (Derryquin) The Blands were originally a Yorkshire family who settled in Kerry in the early 18th century. Francis Bland held several townlands in the parishes of Ballinvoher and Kilgobban, barony of Corkaguiny, and in the parishes of Aghadoe and Killarney, barony of Magunihy, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. Nathaniel Bland was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Caher and Killinane, barony of Iveragh at the same. time. In 1865, lands at Laharan in the latter barony were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in the name of John Kelly. This had been part of the Bland estate at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The property was purchased in trust by Mr. Sullivan, for Maurice J. O'Connell. In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Name Books record that James Hewson was acting as agent for the estate of the late Nathaniel Bland, in the parish of Caher, where some of the lands were let to John Primrose. In the 1870s the estate of Francis C. Bland amounted to over 32, 500 acres in county Kerry.