Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Waller

Family title

Baronet

Description

Lady Waller was Rebecca, youngest daughter of Arthur Guinness of Dublin and sister of Benjamin Lee Guinness of Ashford Castle, parish of Cong, Co Mayo.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Waller (Newport) The first Waller came to Ireland as a soldier in Cromwell's army. Branches of the family settled at Castle Waller, Newport and Prior Park, county Tipperary. The site of Newport House is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. Samuel Waller married Anne Jocelyn, an aunt of the 1st Earl of Roden. Their eldest son Robert was created a baronet in 1780 and a younger son founded the Prior Park branch of the family. In 1828 Sir Edmund Waller 4th Baronet married his cousin Selina Maria daughter of George Waller of Prior Park. In 1844 he married Rebecca Guinness as his second wife. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Lady Waller, youngest daughter of Arthur Guinness, held 5 townlands in the parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo and at least 9 townlands in the parishes of Kilvellane and Kilcomenty, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. In 1876 her son Sir Edmund A. Waller of London owned 1,011 acres in county Mayo, 2,962 acres in county Tipperary and small acreages in counties Cork, Kildare and Limerick. The Waller estate in county Mayo was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in January 1913.
Guinness Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness of the famous brewing family began to purchase Connacht estates for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court from 1852. He bought the Ashford estate from Lord Oranmore and Browne, the Doon estate from Sir Richard O'Donel, the Cong estate from Alexander Lambert, part of the Rosshill estate from Lords Charlemont and Leitrim, parts of Connemara from Christopher St George and Kylemore from a banking consortium in 1859. Guinness acquired lands in county Kerry in the 1850s and was a principal lessor in the parish of Kilcrohane, barony of Dunkerron South at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He bought the Elwood estate of Strandhill, just across the river from Ashford, Cong, in 1871 and Lord Kilmaine sold him Inishdoorus, islands on Lough Corrib and lands in the barony of Ross, part of Nymphsfield in 1875. William Burke of Lisloughry was his agent. Arthur Guinness (1840-1915) was granted the title Baron Ardilaun in 1880. In the 1870s Arthur Guinnes owned 19,944 acres in county Galway, 3,747 acres in county Mayo and smaller acreages in counties Wicklow and Dublin. In 1906 Lord Ardilaun's estate held over 1700 acres of untenanted demesne land at Moyode, Loughrea as well as the mansion house at Moyode. By March 1916 final offers had been accepted from the Congested Districts' Board for over 2000 acres of the Guinness estate in county Mayo and for almost 28,000 acres in county Galway. The Board paid £50,000 for the Galway acreage. An offer had also been accepted for the purchase of the Aran Islands by the Board. The Guinness and St Lawrence families had inherited the Aran Islands from the Digbys through the Barfoots. The Guinness family retained Ashford Castle and the surrounding woods until 1939 when the property was sold to the Irish Government.
Waller (Castle Waller & Rockvale) In the mid 17th century Richard Waller (formerly Warren), a Cromwellian soldier, was granted lands in county Tipperary including Cully, later Castle Waller. His grandson, Samuel, was ancestor of the Wallers, baronets, of Newport and the Wallers of Prior Park. Richard Waller of Castle Waller married Anne, daughter of Kilner Brazier. The Castle Waller estate of William Henry Brazier Waller (who emigrated to America) assigned to William De Rythre was advertised for sale in June 1851.The Freeman's Journal reported that Henry Hodson and John H. Going were among the purchasers. Blanche Waller was married to William De Rythre and 89 acres belonging to them at Poulavie, part of Petersfield demesne, was advertised for sale in the 1860s. A junior branch of this family lived at Rockvale and Finoe House. In the mid 19th century Samuel Waller of the Rockvale family held land in the parishes of Rahelty and Twomileborris, barony of Eliogarty and Edward Waller held land in the parish of Finnoe. Samuel was married to Katherine Doherty. Part of the lands of Finoe and Curraghmore, including Ormond Cottage, the estate (211 acres) of the trustees of the will of Samuel Waller, deceased was advertised for sale in November 1856. In the 1870s John Francis Waller of Dublin and Finoe owned 1,445 acres in county Tipperary.
Waller (Prior Park) This family descend from a Cromwelllian soldier Richard Waller who settled at Cully, Newport, county Tipperary in the mid 17th century. Cully later became known as Castle Waller. In 1730 Samuel Waller married Anne Jocelyn, an aunt of the 1st Earl of Roden and their eldest son, Robert, was created a baronet in 1780. The Wallers of Prior Park descend from their fourth son, George. ''Burke's Irish Family Records'' states that George Waller (born 1740) purchased Prior Park from the Otway family. In the mid 19th century William Waller held an estate in the parishes of Cloghprior, barony of Lower Ormond, and Kilnarath, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. In the 1870s William Waller of Prior Park owned 990 acres in county Tipperary.