Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gallway


Estate(s)

Name Description
Gallway Edward Galway, of Queen’s County, owned over 1500 acres in Kerry in the 1870s. In the 1830s, Christopher Gallway is mentioned as agent to Lord Kenmare in the Ordnance Survey Name Books. He is recorded as the proprietor of several large business concerns in and around Killarney at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. He was also one of the principal lessors of property in the parish of Molahiffe, barony of Magunihy, at the same time. In May 1855, the property known as Killarney Flour Mills, owned by John Gallwey, on lease from the Kenmare estate, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. A lithography, showing the mill buildings is included in the sale notice. The Freeman's Journal reported that it was purchased in trust by Mr. McGrath for £1500.