Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Donoghue

Family title

The O'Donoghue of the Glens


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ennis In the 1870s Sir John Ennis, director of the Bank of Ireland, of Ballinahown Court, Athlone, county Westmeath, owned an estate of 8,774 acres in county Westmeath, 326 acres in county Dublin and 262 acres in county Roscommon. Ballynahown was originally a Malone property. His estate was inherited by the O'Donoghue family of the Glens, county Kerry, following the marriage in 1858 of Sir John's daughter, Maria, and Daniel O'Donoghue, Member of Parliament. http://www.odonoghue.co.uk/guests/society/paul.php
O'Donoghue The family were of ancient Gaelic origin who had forfeited much of their lands after the Desmond rebellion in the sixteenth century. Nonetheless The O’Donoghue was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Aghadoe and Killaha, barony of Magunihy, at the time of Griffith’s Valuation. The estate amounted to over 9000 acres in county Kerry in the 1870s. In June and December 1865, almost 6000 acres in the baronies of Glanarought, Iveragh and Magunihy in county Kerry and West Muskerry in county Cork were offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The lands offered in the June 1865 sale were bought by James Roche. Property sold in the court in April 1866 were purchased in trust by various soliciors.