Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Westropp (Fort Anne)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Westropp (Fort Anne) A branch of the Westropp family descended from a younger brother of Mountiford Westropp of Attyflin, county Limerick. Robert Westropp of Fort Anne, county Clare, married his cousin Elizabeth Hickman of Kilmore, county Clare in 1737. Their Westropp descendants lived at Fort Anne until the end of the 19th century when the estate was inherited by their O'Callaghan of Maryfort descendants. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Robert Westropp held land in the parishes of Kilnoe and Tulla, barony of Tulla Upper and in Quin, barony of Bunratty Upper. His estate was held by the Court of Chancery and was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in June 1857. The sale included 1,853 acres and Fort Anne. Lands owned by Edward Swift and others in the barony of Tulla Upper were purchased in the Landed Estates Court by F.M.Westropp in May 1865. In the 1870s the representatives of the late Captain Francis Westropp owned 1,436 acres in county Clare. Over 1,600 acres in the barony of Tulla Upper, the estate of William John Harrison Moreland trustee of the will of Francis McNamara Westropp, was advertised for sale in November 1878. The sale included Fort Anne which was then the residence of William Nugent Westropp.
Gabbett (Co Clare) The Gabbetts of Castle Lake, Corbally and Shepperton, county Clare were a junior branch of the Gabbetts of County Limerick. They intermarried with the Westropps of Fort Anne and with the Studderts of Bunratty. In the early 19th century three sons of of Thomas Gabbett of Castlelake were resident in county Clare, Reverend Robert of Castlelake, Poole of Corbally and John of Shepperton. John Studdert Gabbett of Castlelake, parish of Kilfinaghta, barony of Bunratty Lower, owned 469 acres in county Clare in the 1870s, while his cousin Windham Gabbett of Mount Rivers, Newport, county Tipperary, owned 1,066 acres in county Clare, 341 acres in county Limerick and 103 acres in county Tipperary.