Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fitzgerald (Carrigoran)

Family title

Baronet


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fitzgerald (Carrigoran) A branch of the Geraldines of Pallas, county Limerick, was established at Carrigoran, parish of Kilnasoolagh, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare, from the 1660s. Edward Fitzgerald of Carrigoran, Member of Parliament for county Clare 1782, was left a large estate by his relative Colonel Augustine Fitzgerald of Sixmilebridge and Silvergrove, parish of Killuran, barony of Tulla Lower. Colonel Augustine Fitzgerald was married to Mercy Ryan, a daughter of Morgan Ryan of Silvergrove. Edward Fitzgerald’s eldest son Augustine was created a baronet in 1822. In the 1870s the Fitzgerald estate was comprised of 14,915 acres. Griffith’s Valuation shows that Sir Edward Fitzgerald’s estate was mainly located in the parishes of Kilfarboy, barony of Ibrickan and Kilmacrehy and Kilmanaheen, barony of Corcomroe. Lady Fitzgerald also was the immediate lessor of the townland of Urard, parish of Fennor, barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary. This 1,043 acre townland, the estate of Lieutenant Colonel Augustine Fitzgerald was advertised for sale in November 1856. By the 1880s the Fitzgeralds had an estate in Cornwall. When Clara Lady Fitzgerald, the widow of the last baronet, died in 1922 Carrigoran was sold to the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.
Fitzgerald (Shepperton) A junior branch of the Fitzgerald family of Carrigoran, county Clare, Charles Fitzgerald was the third son of John Fitzgerald of Carrigoran. Charles married Alice Colpoys and they were the ancestors of the Fitzgeralds of Shepperton, parish of Kilnasoolagh, barony of Bunratty Lower. A Reverend James Fitzgerald was "of Shepperton" in the later part of the 18th century. The estate of his representatives was in the hands of the Court of Chancery by the mid 19th century.