Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Trinity College, Dublin, Provost and Fellows


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fair (Fortville) In 1788 Robert Fair of Ballyjennings, parish of Kilmainemore, county Mayo, was leasing lands from a number of landlords including the farm of Toocananagh, near the village of Bohola, barony of Gallen, from Denis Daly; Ballyjennings and adjacent lands from Christopher Bowen of Hollymount and Ellistronbeg or Fortville from the Brownes of Glencorrib. He also had a share in a lease of the lands of Island, parish of Bekan, barony of Costello, from Francis Knox of Rappa. By 1809 he was able to buy the lands of Creggagh near Foxford from James Daly of Dunsandle, county Galway. It is likely that the Elizabeth Fair, who married Thomas Ruttledge of Bloomfield and Bushfield, was his sister. Two of his sons, John of Creggagh and Robert of Bushfield, married daughters of David Ruttledge of Tawnaghmore, parish of Kilbelfad, barony of Tirawley. Robert died in 1837 and left all his freehold property to his third son, Thomas of Fortville and later of Millmount, county Galway. His second son, Robert Fair of Carravilla and Bushfield, prospered and by the time of Griffith's Valuation had land in the parishes of Kilcommon, Kilmainemore and Robeen, barony of Kilmaine, Crossboyne and Mayo, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo and barony of Ross, county Galway. He purchased in the Encumbered Estates' Court, parts of the estates of the Dillon-Brownes of Glencorrib, Marquess of Sligo, Henry Martin Blake of The Heath and Lord Oranmore and Browne. He had an only daughter, Jane, who married Thomas Ruttledge of Bloomfield. In 1876 Mrs Ruttledge Fair owned 2765 acres in county Mayo and 2799 acres in county Galway. Most of the Fair's estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 29 May 1913.
Coyne/Kyne At the time of Griffith's Valuation Anthony Coyne/Kyne held a large acreage of rough land in the barony of Ross from the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin and had a house valued at £4 in Rusheen East. He also held a small estate from Colonel Charles Knox in the parishes of Kilmainemore and Kilmainebeg, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from the mid 19th century. He appears to have replaced Thomas Fair at Fortville and in 1876 he owned 518 acres in county Mayo. A Thomas J. Kyne sold 183 acres in county Mayo to the Congested Districts' Board on 27 Jan 1913. Anthony Kyne is buried in Rosshill cemetery in Clonbur.
Trinity College, Dublin, Provost and Fellows (Connacht) In 1837 Samuel Lewis recorded that at the time of the dissolution of the monasteries Queen Elizabeth I granted part of the possessions of the Abbey of Cong to the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin, which was established in 1592. On 7 May 1669 Reverend Thomas Steele, Provost, was granted 5,447 acres in the baronies of Ross and Ballynahinch, county Galway, estimated to produce an income of £300 per annum. Parts of the estate covered the region stretching from Cong to the coast at Leenane and included at least 16 townlands in the parishes of Cong and Ross, barony of Ross, county Galway. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the different townlands were let to head tenants such as William Booth, Sir Ralph Sadlier, the Lynchs of Petersburg, Courtney Kenny of Ballinrobe, Robert Fair of Bushfield, Michael Higgins, Anthony Coyne and Peter King. The Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin, also held a number of townlands in the parish of Omey, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, which were let to Redmond Joyce and other Joyces at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The amount of the acreage belonging to the Provost and Fellows was not given in the Landowners' return published in 1876 and Hussey de Burgh states that a correct return had not been received before the publication of his book in 1878. The Return of Proprietors, also published in 1876, however, states that the estate amounted to over 7000 acres in county Galway. In the introductory chapter to his book on the Trinity College estates Robert MacCarthy distinguishes between the Provost's estates and the College's estates. He writes that a large quantity of estate papers removed from the stables of the Provost's house were destroyed in the 1950s.
Higgins (Clonbur) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Michael Higgins of Rusheen West close to the village of Clonbur, barony of Ross, county Galway held a house valued at £8.10 shillings from the Earls of Leitrim and Charlemont and the townland of Tawnaleen amounting to 1,399 acres from the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College. In the 1870s Michael Higgins of Rusheen, Clonbur, owned 1,399 acres in county Galway.
Trinity College, Dublin, Provost & Fellows (Munster) In 1666 the Provost, Fellows and Scholars of Trinity College, Dublin, were granted a total of 61,017 acres in the counties of Limerick, Kerry, Tipperary, Cork and Waterford. Most of this land, 54,479 acres, was in county Kerry. The College's estates in county Kerry amounted to over 10,000 acres in the 1870s, including lands in the parish of Rattoo, barony of Clanmaurice and the village of Ballylongford, barony of Iraghticonnor. An offer was made by the Congested Districts Board on over 9600 acres of the College's county Kerry estate after 1909. The College owned 979 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. In the mid 19th century this property, which was in the parish of Kilmoylan, barony of Shanid, was leased to John Cantillon Heffernan. In Griffith's Valuation the Provost and Fellows of Trinity College, Dublin, are recorded as the the immediate lessors of land in the parishes of Dungourney, barony of Imokilly, county Cork and Bruis and Clonbeg, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. In the 1870s they owned 893 acres in county Tipperary.