A family who were living in the vicinity of the village of Shruel on the border of counties Galway and Mayo at the end of the 17th century, see gravestone inscriptions inside the ruin of Headford church (Church of Ireland). The Fynns were maternal ancestors of Sir William Wilde, father of Oscar Wilde.
|Cromie||At the time of Griffith's Valuation Reverend William Cromie, nephew of the 2nd Baron Kilmaine, occupied the Neale House and held part of the estate of his uncle in the parishes of Ballinchalla, Kilmolara and Moorgagagh, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, and also some lands in the parish of Kilmainebeg. In 1876 the Reverend Cromie of Doughlas, Isle of Man, owned 640 acres in county Mayo. His brother Charles Cromie lived in a number of houses in the locality and was agent to the Bowen Elwoods of Hollymount, the Blakes of Merlin Park, the Lindseys of Hollymount, the Kirwans of Dalgan and to his uncle Lord Kilmaine. The Ordnance Survey Field Name Books for county Galway show that Charles Cromie was also agent to James Clarke, Graig Abbey and Michael Browne of Moyne for lands held by them in the barony of Clare. Charles Cromie was married to Emily Fynn of Ballymacgibbon, parish of Cong.|
|Fynn||Edward Fynn of Shrule, county Mayo bought the lands of Ballymacgibbon, parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from Colonel John Browne of Westport and his creditors' trustees in September 1699 for £243. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Fynns held four townlands in the parish of Cong. In 1876 Jane Fynn of Ballymacgibbon owned 620 acres in county Mayo. The mother of Sir William Wilde was a Fynn of Ballymacgibbon. In 1862 Sir William bought part of the Fynn estate, 170 acres of Gortachurra, when it came up for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The Irish Times reported that the sale realised £3460 for the Fynn estate. Wilde built Moytura House on this land. The Fynn family also had an interest in the Chambers' estate at Kilboyne, parish of Ballyhean, barony of Carra, through a marriage between the two families and this was sold by the trustees of John Fynn's will, John Charles Larminie and John Thompson, in 1860.|
|Larminie||John C. Larminie held five townlands in the parish of Ballyhean, barony of Carra, county Mayo. These lands were involved in a Chancery suit in the late 1830s possibly concerning the Chambers' estate. John C. Larminie of Spencer Park, Castlebar, married Margaret Letitia, daughter of Daniel Merry of Rockley Park, county Roscommon. In 1895, their son, Alexander Clendining Larminie of Fisher Hill, county Mayo, married Isabella Dodd Morony, daughter of William Morony of Fortlawn, county Mayo. Alexander C. Larminie was agent to the Earls of Lucan in the late 19th century.|
|Thomson||The Salrock/Salruck estate, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, originally belonged to the Miller family of Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, county Mayo. In 1803 it was estimated to contain approximately 8000 statute acres stretching along the western coastline from the Killary Harbour to Cleggan. In 1815 Colonel Alexander Thomson married the widow of General Charles Miller who was killed in the Peninsular War. Colonel Thomson had some claim on the Milford estate and after a protracted law suit he purchased in lieu of this claim the Salruck property in the early 1830s. Members of his family continued to follow military careers and one of them was agent to Mitchell Henry at Kylemore Abbey. In 1876 the Thomsons still owned an estate of over 8000 acres in county Galway. 1332 acres of their estate was sold to the Congested Districts' Board on 2 Apr 1897 and by March 1916 a final offer for a further 7,819 acres had been accepted by the family. Alexander Thomson leased 13 acres of Illaunroe to Sir William Wilde in 1853 and the farm of Dernasliggan, 250 acres on the edge of the Killary, to Alexander C. Lambert in 1854. Descendants of the family still live at Salruck House and own some land in the locality.|