Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Dawson


Estate(s)

Name Description
D'Arcy (Houndswood) John D'Arcy was granted almost 1,700 acres in the baronies of Ross and Athenry, county Galway and in the baronies of Kilmaine and Clanmorris, county Mayo by patent dated 6 July 1677. In February 1700 the trustees for the sale of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport sold Aghalard, Ballykine and other townlands in parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, to Patrick D'Arcy of Gorteen, a townland just east of Houndswood, parish of Cong, for £1300. Gorteen and Houndswood were held on lease from the Archbishop of Tuam. By the early 19th century the D'Arcys held about 14 townlands in the parish of Cong and employed two agents Patrick Kirwan of Carnan, Tuam, county Galway and Patrick Haggan. In 1852 the estate was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court.
Dawson In 1852 John S.Dawson bought part of the D'Arcy of Houndswood estate, parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, in the Encumbered Estates Court. In 1876 Edward Joseph Grant Dawson and Emerson Dawson, both of Houndswood, owned 1,120 acres in county Mayo between them.