Daly (Dunsandle & Carnakelly)
The Daly family of Dunsandle derived from Daly of Carnakelly in the parish of Kiltullagh. They bought the Dunsandle estate from the Clanricarde family in 1708. By the 1870s they owned one of the largest estates in county Galway, amounting to over 33,000 acres and wielded considerable political power throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. Denis Daly had married Henrietta Maxwell, heiress of the Earl of Farnham, in the late 18th century. James Daly of Dunsandle is recorded as a resident proprietor in county Galway in 1824 and the owner of lands in the parish of Kilconieron in the 1830s. Parts of the Daly estate were in the parishes of Ballymacward, Clonkeen, Killimordaly and Monivea in the barony of Tiaquin. The family also held lands in the parishes of Fahy, Killimorbologue and Meelick, in the barony of Longford. The family also had connections with the Matthew family of Thomastown, county Tipperary where they acquired an estate including much of the town of Thurles. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Honourable Bowes Daly held land in the parishes of Gaile, baroy of Middlethird and Fertiana, barony of Eliogarty, county Tipperary. In the 1870s the Honourable Bowes Daly owned 1,415 acres in county Tipperary while Lord Dunsandle owned a further 3,514 acres in county Tipperary. Rev. Robert Daly, son of Denis Daly, MP, served as Church of Ireland bishop of Cashel and Waterford from 1843-1872. He was the lessor of property in the parishes of Ballynakill and Kilcaragh, barony of Gaultiere, county Waterford in 1848.
Lord Dunsandle accepted an offer on over 1500 acres of his estate from the Congested Districts Board after 1909.