Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Porter (Belle Isle)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lindsey (Hollymount) This branch of the Lindsey family were descended from a younger son of the first Lindsey of Turin, parish of Kilmainemore, county Mayo. It was through his marriage in 1757 with Frances Vesey, granddaughter of Archbishop John Vesey of Tuam, that Thomas Lindsey came to own the Vesey's Hollymount estate, parish of Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine. Charles Cromie was agent to the Lindseys in the 1830s. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Lindsey estate was comprised of eleven townlands in the parish of Kilcommon and five townlands in the parish of Kilmainemore. In 1876 Miss Mary Lindsey owned 5194 acres in county Mayo. She married Heremon FitzPatrick, grandson of the 2nd Marquess of Headford and he assumed the additional surname of Lindsey. They had no children. The estate was sold to the Congested Districts' Board on 31 Mar 1915.
Porter John Porter was granted 971 acres in the barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, by patent dated 17 Nov 1677. Henry Edward Porter, High Sheriff for county Monaghan in 1849, was a younger son of the Porter family of Belle Isle, county Fermanagh. He owned 5,938 acres in county Mayo in the 1870s valued at £109. His brother married a Lindsey of Hollymount House.