Landed Estates
NUI Galway

West (Lismany)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Pollok (Lismany) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Allan Pollok was the owner of considerable property in various parts of east county Galway. He was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Donanaghta and Kilquain, barony of Longford as well as in Ahascragh, barony of Clonmacnowen. Pollok was originally from Scotland and had purchased extensive estates in county Galway in the Encumbered Estates Court in the early 1850s, including the two Burke estates of Glinsk and Creggs in the parishes of Ballynakill and Kilbegnet, barony of Ballymoe. A large portion of the Burke estate was sold to Allen Dowell in 1813 for £30,000. Edmund Dowell sold his estate of 4,401 acres in 1851. It was purchased by Pollok who also bought portions of the West, St.George, Bisset, Eyre and Daly estates in the barony of Longford. Pollok's main residence was at Lismany, near Ballinasloe. In the 1870s he is recorded as holding over 29,000 acres in county Galway as well as a small amount of property in county Dublin. In 1881 he was succeeded by his son John, who married a daughter of John C. R. Bingham, 4th Lord Clanmorris. John's representatives owned over 1000 acres of untenanted demesne land at Lismanny in 1906. They held over 500 acres of untenanted land in the Eyrecourt area as well as the houses at Ballynamuddagh and Cloghbrack.
West (Lismany) In June 1853 an estate of almost 11,000 acres in the baronies of Longford and Clonmacnowen, county Galway, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court by Eliza Felicia West, widow of John Beatty West, Member of Parliament. Pádraig Lane records that this property was bought by Allan Pollock from Eliza West for £105,000. Eliza West was the daughter of Charles Burton and mother in law of Sir William Westbrook Burton. http://lawrencetown.com/farming.htm