McTernan notes that the Powells settled in the barony of Leyny as grantees under the Cromwellian settlement. They held lands from Lord de Freyne's estate in the barony of Coolavin as well as lands in the parish of Achonry, barony of Leyny. In the 1870s Abraham Powell owned over 700 acres while other members of the family owned over 800 acres in county Sligo. In 1906 James J. Powell was the owner of over 300 acres of untenanted land there together with buildings valued at £12. In 1912 J.L. Powell accepted an offer from the Congested Districts Board on over 50 acres in county Sligo.