Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kelly (Clooncannon)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Kelly (Clooncannon) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edmond Kelly held the townland of Sonnagh, parish of Kilbegnet, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway and lands in the parish of Kilmeane, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. In November 1858 he advertised for sale his lands in counties Galway and Roscommon, a total of 767 acres. The lands of Farbreagues in the parish of Kilmeane had veen leased in 1830 to Christopher John McCape by Edmond W. Kelly. Henry Kelly readvertised the sale of Sonnagh in 1872. The Irish Times reported that this property was sold in trust to Mr. Littledale for over £900 in April 1872. George Kelly had been in possession of townlands in the parish of Ahascragh at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. In 1850 lands owned by Michael Kelly, with an address in Swords, county Dublin, at Cloncannon (Kelly), barony of Clonmacnowen, were advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates court. At that time the house at Cloncannon was occupied by Mathew C. Browne. The petitoners to the sale were Charles and Rose Lennon, a family with whom the Kellys seemed to be in legal dispute. In the 1870s Michael Kelly, whose address is given as Athleague, county Roscommon, held over 300 acres in county Galway and over 400 acres in county Roscommon.