Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ennis


Estate(s)

Name Description
Malone The Malones of Ballynahown, county Westmeath, were closely related to the Brownes of Westport House, barony of Murrisk, county Mayo and to the Dillon family of Feamore, barony of Costello. They were involved in the sale of the confiscated estate of Gerald Dillon of Feamore, after the Jacobite War. Documents in the Westport Estate Papers indicate that the Malones were leasing lands, including Boleyboy and Levallyroe, from the Dillons in the 1680s. An advertisement in ''Faulkner's Journal'' of 10 Oct 1752 lists 2956 acres for sale in the barony of Costello, the estate of the Honourable Anthony Malone, including Feamore and Levallyroe. The Malones also held land in county Roscommon, Edmond Malone having received a grant of lands in counties Roscommon, Galway and Mayo in August 1678. The county Roscommon estate of Richard Malone in the parishes of Cloonygormican and Oran, barony of Ballymoe, along with lands in counties Longford, Cavan, Westmeath and the city of Dublin, was advertised for sale by the trustees of his will in November 1854. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Malone still held some land in the parish of Cloonygormican, orginally granted in 1678. He was possibly a member of a later generation of the Malone family of Baronston, county Westmeath.
Ennis In the 1870s Sir John Ennis, director of the Bank of Ireland, of Ballinahown Court, Athlone, county Westmeath, owned an estate of 8,774 acres in county Westmeath, 326 acres in county Dublin and 262 acres in county Roscommon. Ballynahown was originally a Malone property. His estate was inherited by the O'Donoghue family of the Glens, county Kerry, following the marriage in 1858 of Sir John's daughter, Maria, and Daniel O'Donoghue, Member of Parliament. http://www.odonoghue.co.uk/guests/society/paul.php