Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kirwan (Carnaun & Dalgin)


Estate(s)

Name Description
D'Arcy (Houndswood) John D'Arcy was granted almost 1,700 acres in the baronies of Ross and Athenry, county Galway and in the baronies of Kilmaine and Clanmorris, county Mayo by patent dated 6 July 1677. In February 1700 the trustees for the sale of the estate of Colonel John Browne of Westport sold Aghalard, Ballykine and other townlands in parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, to Patrick D'Arcy of Gorteen, a townland just east of Houndswood, parish of Cong, for £1300. Gorteen and Houndswood were held on lease from the Archbishop of Tuam. By the early 19th century the D'Arcys held about 14 townlands in the parish of Cong and employed two agents Patrick Kirwan of Carnan, Tuam, county Galway and Patrick Haggan. In 1852 the estate was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court.
Birmingham (Dalgin & Millbrook) The Birminghams of Dalgin, parish of Addergoole, barony of Dunmore, county Galway, were descended from Major John Birmingham of Clondargin and Dalgin and his wife, Maud Bermingham of Kilbeg, parish of Ross, who married in the early 18th century. Following the death of John Birmingham in 1802 the estate was divided between his two sons, Michael (Dalgin) and Edward (Millbrook). Members of the Birmingham family held eight townlands in the parish of Annagh, barony of Costello, county Mayo and six townlands in the parish of Addergoole, barony of Dunmore, county Galway, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Michael James Birmingham sold the Dalgin estate to his future brother-in-law, Denis J. Kirwan, in 1863. Kirwan also inherited the Millbrook part of the estate following the death of John Birmingham, author and astronomer, in 1884. In the 1870s John Birmingham of Millbrook owned 711 acres in county Mayo and 359 acres in county Galway.
Kirwan (Carnaun & Dalgin) Denis Kirwan was a land agent resident at Carnaun, near Tuam, county Galway. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Mary Anne Kirwan held the 58 acres of Carnaun in the parish of Tuam, barony of Dunmore, county Galway from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Denis J. Kirwan of Churchfield, Tuam and Carnaun, married Louisa Birmingham in 1866, having previously purchased the Dalgin estate from her brother Michael in 1863. In 1884 Denis J. Kirwan inherited the Millbrook part of the Dalgin estate from John Birmingham and the Kirwans lived at Dalgin until the mid 20th century. In June 1927 the ''Tuam Herald'' reported that the Land Commission had acquired named townlands, part of the estate of Denis Birmingham Kirwan. Denis J. Kirwan and his son Denis B. Kirwan acted as agents for many landlords in the Tuam and surrounding locality. Their records, now in the National Library of Ireland, date from the 1850s to the mid 20th century.