Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ormsby (Tobervaddy, Shrulegrove & Grange)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ormsby (Tobervaddy) A branch of the Ormsby family was settled at Toberavaddy in the parish of Fuerty, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, from the mid 17th century. Sir Edward Ormsby of Shrule and Tobervaddy, leased land from the Earl of Clanricarde in the mid 17th century. He was granted lands in the counties of Limerick, Mayo, Galway and Roscommon under the Acts of Settlement, patent dated 12 Feb 1667/8. His acreage in Connacht amounted to 9,260 acres. Sir Edward was succeeded by his brother Gilbert Ormsby of Tobervaddy in 1683. Gilbert's great grandson George Ormsby appears to have still been residing at Tobervaddy in the mid 18th century. Toberavaddy was in the possession of Robert Irwin at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The Ormsbys of Grange, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon were another branch of this family. They owned property in the county until the early 19th century and intermarried with the Lloyds of Rockville, the Hawkes of Brierfield and the Mills of Fairymount. Members of this branch of the family emigrated to Australia and New Zealand and by the time of Griffith's Valuation Grange was in the possession of the representatives of Daniel Farrell. In the 1870s a descendant of this family the Reverend William Ormsby, rector of Arklow, county Wicklow, owned 522 acres in county Roscommon.
Ferrall (Co Roscommon) In the early 19th century John Farrell or Ferrall acquired large tracts of land mainly in county Roscommon, including the Ormsby's Grange estate, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South and land belonging to the Lysters in the parish of Cam, barony of Athlone. John Ferrall died in 1823 and was succeeded by his nephew, Daniel Henry Ferrall. In 1828 Daniel Farrell was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey Mr Kincaid of Dublin was agent to some of Daniel Farrell's estate. Desmond Norton's book refers to letters concerning the administration of D.H. Ferrall's estates during the Famine period by Stewart and Kincaid, land agents. Joseph Kincaid held two townlands in the parish of Kilcooley, barony of Roscommon at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Daniel H. Ferrall died in 1853 and was succeeded by his four sisters and their descendants, the Nolan, Taaffe, Conmee and Irwin families. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Daniel Ferrall held land in the parishes of Cam and Kiltoom, barony of Athlone, Kilcolagh, barony of Frenchpark, Baslick, barony of Castlereagh, Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe, Kilglass, barony of Ballintober North, Kilteevan, Kilbride and Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South, Killukin, barony of Boyle and Bumlin, Kilcooley, Ogulla, barony of Roscommon. In June 1859 over 10,000 acres in counties Sligo and Roscommon, belonging to Louisa Bridget Taaffe, wife of Edmond Taaffe, Henry Taaffe Ferrall and John Nolan Ferrall, were advertised for sale. Lands in the barony of Corran, county Sligo, the property of John Ferrall, were offered for sale in December 1859. Unsold parts of the county Roscommon estate were advertised for sale again on 24 June 1862 and again in February 1863. Over 1,200 acres of the same estate in the barony of Castlereagh were offered for sale in May 1867 and 1,800 acres of the Frenchpark part of the estate in April 1868 and February 1869. Again in July 1875 over 900 acres of the Ferrall estate in the barony of Frenchpark was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Major Henry Taaffe Ferrall of Moylurg, Boyle, owned 5,140 acres in county Roscommon. In 1906 Beechwood was occupied by Clare M. Nolan who also held untenanted lands mainly in the parish of Kilteevan, barony of Ballintober South. Over 1,200 acres belonging to Clare M. Nolan were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 June 1912.
Waller (Rookwood) In 1778 Major Waller is recorded as resident at Rookwood and Kilmore. Robert Waller married Jane Ormsby of the Tobervaddy family in the first half of the 18th century. Major Waller was either her husband or son and was either a brother or nephew of William Waller of Allenstown, Navan, county Meath.
Ormsby (Athlacca) This Ormsby family share a common ancestry with the Ormsbys of Tobervaddy, county Roscommon. In 1666 Captain Arthur Ormsby of Ballyvenoge, county Limerick was granted 6,068 acres in counties Limerick and Cork and Charles Ormsby, a minor, was granted over 5,000 acres in the barony of Coshma, county Limerick, including Athlacka. The county Limerick lands were mainly in the barony of Coshma and were previously the property of the de Lacy family. The county Cork lands were in the barony of East Carbery. John Ormsby who lived at Athlacca in the first decade of the 18th century was a descendant. In 1786 another descendant Arthur Ormsby of Ballygrennan, parish of St Munchins, barony of Pubblebrien, married Maria Vereker, sister of Viscount Gort and had a number of children, including sons John, Maunsell and Henry and a daughter Maria who married Simon Rose of Ahabeg, county Limerick in 1826. Their son Henry Ormsby Rose eventually succeeded to the Ormsby estates. The Withers sale notice for part of the lands of Ballygrennan in the North Liberties of Limerick city records John Ormsby leasing Ballygrennan to George Lloyd for 880 years, date 10 Mar 1802. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry Ormsby Rose held land in the parishes of Athlacca and Croom, barony of Coshma. In the 1870s Henry Rose of Paris, a minor, and Miss Rose of Paris, owned 1,374 acres and 422 acres respectively in county Limerick.
Ormsby (Bird Hill & Brookdale) The 621 acre estate of Thaddeus Callaghan at Lower Knockduff, parish of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, county Cork, was advertised for sale in November 1851. The tenant was Mrs Margaret Ormsby of Bird Hill, county Tipperary, representative of Arthur Ormsby, the original lessee. Her heirs the Twiss family held property at Knockduff, county Cork in the early 20th century. Mrs Margaret Ormsby held an estate in the parish of Kilcomenty, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. She is recorded as the occupier of a house valued at £11+ in the townland of Birdhill. This house may have been situated in the village of Birdhill. She was the widow of Arthur Ormsby of Birdhill, county Tipperary. Arthur Ormsby was a son of Arthur Ormsby of Ballygreenan, county Limerick and Birdhill, county Limerick (died 1795) and his wife Elizabeth Green, heiress to her brother Henry Green. He was a member of a branch of the Ormsby family of Tobervaddy, county Roscommon and was closely connected to the Ormsbys of county Limerick. see http://www.birdhilltidytowns.ie/a_historic_ramble_through_birdhill.html