Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Martin

Description

The Martin family established themselves as property owners in Sligo in 17th century


Estate(s)

Name Description
Martin (later Wood-Martin) The Martin family owned extensive property in Sligo town and surrounding area. Many served in political life of the county and the town. In the 19th century the Martin estate became united with the equally signicant Wood estate. Some rentals of the Martin estate were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1851. The historian and antiquarian, W.G. Wood-Martin, was of this family. The family also held property in County Galway. Abraham Martin of Cleveragh is recorded as owning 396 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Reverend Henry Martin is recorded as owning over 1000 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s.
Wood The Wood family had held property in Sligo since at least the early 17th century, probably through Thomas Wood, Constable of Ballymote Castle in 1592. A family member is alleged to have perished in the Rebellion of 1641. Some of the family property in Corran barony became part of the Bromhead estate in the 19th century when Judith Wood married Sir Gonville Bromhead of Thurlby Hall, Lincolnshire. Other parts of the property were inherited by the Digby family though the marriage of Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Wood, to William Digby, dean of Clonfert, in later eighteenth century. The family bacame united with the Martins, another influential Sligo family, though the inheritence of the Martin's Cleveragh estate by Mrs. Anne Wood, nee Martin.