Landed Estates
NUI Galway

French (Frenchlawn & Frenchbrook)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Glancy/Glancey At the time of Griffith's Valuation various members of the Glancy family were leasing property in the parish of Ballintober, barony of Castlereagh. By the 1870s James Glancy is recorded as the owner of almost 2000 acres in county Roscommon.
French (Frenchlawn & Frenchbrook) Martin J. Blake writes that the ancestor of this branch of the French family was Simon A. Hyacinth French of Frenchbrook near Elphin, county Roscommon, second son of Arthur French of Tyrone, county Galway and his wife, Sarah Farrell. Arthur French succeeded his father and married Arabella O'Rourke in 1765. In 1774 his sister Jane married Captain Joseph Burke of London and Auberries, great uncle of Sir Bernard Burke, Ulster King of Arms and author of Burke's Peerage and Landed Gentry. Arthur and Arabella French are stated to have had six sons, including Robert Henry French of Innfield and later of Kiltullagh, Arthur French of Carney Castle, Jeffrey Martin French of Rocksavage and Toomona and William French of Frenchlawn. Martin J. Blake writes that Jeffrey M. French married a sister of Peter O'Connor of Toomona and succeeded his brother-in-law at Toomona. He had a daughter, Maria French of Larchgrove, who in the 1870s is recorded as owning 665 acres in county Roscommon. HIs son Arthur succeeded his uncle at Carney Castle, parish of Cloghprior, county Tipperary. In the mid 19th century Eliza French held three townlands in the parish of Cloghprior, barony of Lower Ormond, a total of 1,062 acres according to Daniel Grace. Following her death in 1873 Carney Castle was sold to George Arthur Waller of Prior Park. It would appear from the sale rental of June 1873 that Carney Castle was advertised for sale by her daughters, Maria Falkiner, Adelaide Kelly and Louisa Metcalfe and her son-inlaw, John George Malone. Previously the estate of Stephen Metcalfe and his wife Louisa, at Carneywoodlands and Carneybrack, barony of Lower Ormond, was advertised for sale. In 1788 Robert Henry French married a Miss Donnellan and had a son, Robert French of Larchgrove. Other descendants intermarried with the Brownes of Mount Browne, Strokestown and Clonfad and Martin J. Blake states that some family members were living at Dangan in the early 20th century. The Frenchlawn branch of the family occupied their estate up to the early 19th century. Papers in the National Archives seem to indicate financial difficulties after this as a receiver was appointed. By the time of Griffith's Valuation, Frenchlawn was part of the Sandford estate and was being leased by the Glancey family.
O'Conor (Toomona) The branch of the O'Conor family known as O'Conor Roe had extensive lands in county Roscommon which were confiscated in the 17th century and granted to Captain Nicholas Mahon, founder of the Strokestown family. Peter O'Conor was a descendent of the O'Conor Roe. He was the son of John O'Conor and his wife a Miss Dowell of Gort, near Athlone. John O'Conor was a grandson of Roger O'Conor of Castleruby, who was buried in the Abbey of Tulsk. Peter O'Conor's sister Bridget was the wife of Jeffrey Martin French of Rocksavage, county Roscommon. Peter appears to have died in the 1830s without any male heirs and Toomona was inherited by his sister.