Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Roper (Hazelbrook)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Roper (Hazelbrook) A county Roscommon family, established at Hazelbrook from the end of the 18th century, family members intermarried with the Kellys of Muckloon and with the Greens of Monkstown, county Dublin. In the mid 1850s William Roper held land in the parishes of Dunmore and Tuam, barony of Dunmore, county Galway, amounting to over 400 acres and in the parish of Killinvoy, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. In the 1870s the Ropers owned 853 acres in county Roscommon and they also had smaller acreages in counties Tipperary and Westmeath.
Neilan In the 1870s John Neilan of Stonepark, Roscommon owned 643 acres in county Roscommon. Over 500 acres belonging to J.J. Neilan were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 4 July 1913.