Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Cotton


Estate(s)

Name Description
Cotton Various members of the Cotton family were leasing property in the barony of Castlereagh at the time of Griffith's Valuation and earlier in the nineteenth century. Wright Cotton held land in the parish of Cloonfinlough, barony of Roscommon in the 1850s, previously part of the estate of John Balfe. In the 1870s Wright Cotton of Hartstown, Clonsilla, Dublin, held over 200 acres in county Roscommon. In April 1888 he offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court his property in the barony of Castlereagh as well as property in Dublin City. Cox Cotton, son of William James Cotton of Longford House, Castlerea bought the Brierfield estate from the Hawkes family in the late 19th century.
Hawkes (Brierfield) Charles Hawkes settled in county Roscommon in the late 17th century and was a younger son of Captain John Hawkes, who founded the Hawkes family of county Cork. In the mid 19th century the Hawkes' county Roscommon estate was in the parish of Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe. In the 1870s Charles Hawkes of Brierfield owned over 720 acres in county Roscommon. Gormley states that the Briarfield estate was later acquired by the Cotton family. The estate was divided by the Irish Land Commission and the house demolished.