Landed Estates
NUI Galway

King (Drumsna)

Description

Leitrim & Sligo


Estate(s)

Name Description
King (Drumsna) The King family descend from the Reverend Edward King, Bishop of Elphin (1611-1639) who was granted lands forfeited by the O'Beirnes in the Drumsna area of county Roscommon early in the 17th century. The Bishop built the original houses at Charlestown and Kilmore. Members of the family served as High Sheriffs of Leitrim in the eighteenth century. Gilbert King was made a baronet in July 1815 and died in 1818. He was succeeded by his nephew Robert, who died in 1825. Robert's son Gilbert became the 3rd baronet and at the time of Griffith's Valuation he held an estate in the parishes of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North and Aughrim, barony of Roscommon. In the 1870s Sir Gilbert King owned 1,858 acres in county Roscommon, 4,328 acres in county Sligo and 480 acres in county Leitrim.The King estate in North Sligo was principally in the parish of Drumcliff though Griffith's Valuation and the Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate Sir Gilbert King was the owner of a number of townlands in Tawnagh parish in Tirerrill barony also. In the 1870s Henry King owned over 1500 acres in county Sligo. . Extensive estates were also held in Leitrim and Roscommon. James King is recorded as owning over 2200 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s while John King, with an address in France, owned almost 2500 acres.
King (Ballylin) The King family of Ballylin, Ferbane, King's county (county Offaly) shared a common ancestry with the King family of Charlestown House, Drumsna, county Roscommon. John King established himself at Ballylin in the mid 18th century. He was succeeded at Ballylin by his nephew, Reverend Henry King, who held lands in the county Roscommon parishes of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North, Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South, Elphin, barony of Roscommon and Kilmacumsy, barony of Frenchpark at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s John Gilbert King of Ballylin owned 1033 acres in county Roscommon and 10,175 acres in King's county.
Hogg Members of the Hogg family were lease holders in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North, county Roscommon in the early to mid 19th century. A Mrs Hogg of Blackrock owned 109 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s.
Devenish The Devenish family were resident in county Roscommon from the 17th century. By the late 18th century William Devenish was living at Rush Hill. The families of two of his sons were resident at Rush Hill and Mount Pleasant throughout the 19th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation one of his younger sons, Robert Devenish, held land from Reverend William Handcock and also from William Lloyd in the parish of Aughrim, barony and county of Roscommon and in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North. Robert's older brother, John Devenish, held land in the parish of Lissonuffy, barony of Roscommon. Over 600 acres of the estate of John Devenish was offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in July 1873. These lands were situated in the baronies of Frenchpark and Roscommon. The Irish Times reported that they were sold to John Grady and Thomas Conry, the sales realising over £7500. In the 1870s George Devenish, of Delgany, county Wicklow and John Devenish of Rushill, Drumsna held 54 and 35 acres respectively in the county while John Devenish of Mountpleasant, Strokestown, still owned 597 acres. Gilbert Mahon held land in the parish of Lissonuffy, barony and county of Roscommon in the mid 19th century. The ''Landowners of Ireland'' record Gilbert Mahon "now John Devenish", Rushill, owning 365 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s.