Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Davis (Frenchpark)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Davis/Davies (Kilconnell) John Davies was resident at Castle-bin, Kilconnell, in 1814. The estate of George Davies, in the parish of Aughrim, barony of Kilconnell, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in April 1853. The original lease by which Davies held the property dated from 1782 renewable forever. George Davies was the tenant on a holding, consisting of 144 acres, at Rehill, the property of Sophia Mary Ireland, offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in March 1852.Francis Davis was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Killallaghtan, barony of Kilconnell. This may the the same Francis Davys who leasing Ballymantan, parish of Kiltartan. Francis Davis held over 1,000 acres in the parish of Cloontuskert, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Some of his estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in November 1855. The Davies of county Clare are descended from Thomas Davies of Newcastle, county Galway, brother of William Davies of Hampstead and John Davies of Kentstown. The county Clare branch of the family were related to the Pilkingtons and the Bentleys and were living at Rosslevan in the 1820s. Francis Davis held land in the parish of Kilmurry, barony of Ibrickan in the early 1850s. Francis Davis of Kingstown, Dublin, owned 915 acres in county Clare.
Davis (Frenchpark) William Davis was the lessor of property in the parish of Tibohine, barony of Frenchpark at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s he owned an estate of over 1000 acres in county Roscommon. Members of the Davis family are buried in the graveyard surrounding the ruins of Frenchpark Priory.