Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Wynne

Description

Hazelwood


Estate(s)

Name Description
Wynne The Wynne family established themselves in Sligo in the later 17th century. They went on to become one of the dominant forces in political and economic life for the next two centuries. As well as estates in Sligo they held over 15,000 acres in county Leitrim. Owen Wynne served as High Sheriff of that county in 1724 and went on to become High Sheriff of Sligo later. McParlan gives a detailed description of Hazelwood in his account of Sligo in 1802. John Wynne was the lessor of several townlands in the parishes of Killasnet, barony of Rosclogher and Cloonlogher, barony of Dromahaire, county Leitrim, in 1856. Previously, in 1855, he had offered for sale lands at Garryduff, barony of Tireragh and property in the city of Dublin. John Wynne also served as High Sheriff of Leitrim, in 1834. The Wynne's Tireragh lands were held under fee-farm grant from John ffolliott and Edward Nicholson. In 1876 Owen Wynne offered for sale some of his estate in the barony of Carbery. The Irish Times reported that many of the lots were sold out of court while it also gives a detailed breakdown of the purchasers' of the other lots. Properties which Owen Wynne offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in 1881 in and around the town of Sligo included lands leased from the Wood Martin estate. In 1906 Owen Wynne is recorded as the occupier of Hazelwood Demesne including a mansion house.
Cleaver At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend William Cleaver, son of Archbishop Euseby Cleaver of Dublin and his wife Catherine Wynne of Hazelwood, county Sligo, held some land in the parish of Fuerty, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. The Reverend William Cleaver of Delgany, county Wicklow, owned 757 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. Messrs Cleaver and Scott held a few acres of untenanted land at Cams, parish of Fuerty in 1906.