Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gethin

Family title

Baronet


Estate(s)

Name Description
Gethin Under the Restoration settlement Richard Gethin, created a baronet in 1665, was granted a large estate in county Cork (over 5,500 acres) and premises in Waterford and Wexford. He established the manor of Gethinsgrott, barony of Fermoy, in county Cork. The Gethin family later acquired extensive lands in the south eastern part of County Sligo as well as property in Sligo town. They also leased property from other estates notably the Gore Booths. In 1853 parts of Sir Richard Gethin's estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. By 1906 Percy Gethin still held over 200 acres of untenanted land at Kingsborough, barony of Tirerrill.
Dodwell The Dodwell family were present in Sligo since the 17th century. . In 1800 Frances Dodwell of Carrowgarry married Alexander Crichton from which time that estate was in the possession of the Crichton family. Kevinsfort was the home of various other families at different times in the 19th century, including Capt. George Dodwell. He acted as agent to some of the large estates such as the Gore-Booths and the Ormsbys. Christopher L'Estrange, described as a land agent, was based at Kevinsfort in 1878. In the 1870s James Crofton Dodwell of Shankill House, near Bray, Co Dublin and of Glenmore, Coolaney, county Sligo, owned 1,573 acres in county Sligo and 334 acres in county Mayo. The Dodwell family also had property in County Galway and were married into many influential families in Connacht. Victoria Dodwell is recorded as one of the principal lessors of property in the parish of Boyle, county Roscommon, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1906 Malby Crofton Dodwell was the owner of over 1300 acres in at Carrownaskeagh, barony of Leyny, as well as buildings valued at £11. In 1912 M.C. Dodwell and others accepted an offer from the Congested Districts Board on almost 200 acres of their Galway estate. At the same time an offer was accepted from the Board on over 1400 acres of the Sligo estate.