A county Offaly family who inherited land in county Roscommon from the Moores of the parish of Drum.
|Walsh/Hussey Walsh||Richard Walsh, a younger son of the Walsh family of county Kilkenny, was transplanted to Crannagh, parish of Drum, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, under the Cromwellian settlement. The Walshes were mill owners and built up a leasehold estate in the parish of Drum. In 1787 Patrick Walsh of Crannagh married Margaret daughter of John Hussey of Mulhussey [Mounthussey], county Roscommon. Their son John Hussey Walsh inherited both the Crannagh and Mounthussey estates. The estate was in the parish of Drum, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon and the family also held land in county Galway. In the early 1820s the Hussey Walshes bought an estate in county Offaly and went to live at Kilduff House, Kilclonfert. By the time of Griffith's Valuation John Hussey Walsh still owned over 2,000 acres in the parish of Drum. He died in 1863 and in 1876 the Hussey Walsh estate in counties Roscommon and Offaly was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. Only one part of the estate was sold, the others were purchased by family representatives on behalf of Walter Hussey Walsh and his wife Ellen, daughter of Valentine O'Brien O'Connor. In the 1870s the Hussey Walsh estate amounted to 2,826 acres in county Roscommon. The Hussey Walsh house at Kilduff was sold in 1882 and the family went to live in Dublin and later in London. In the early 20th century the estate was administered by the firm of A.T.S. Magan, estate agents of Athlone. The Land Commission purchased Mount Hussey and its surrounding lands in the 1920s.|
|Moore (Drum)||In the 1650s Melchior Moore was transplanted from Cregganstown, county Meath, to the parish of Drum, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon and his title to over 700 acres in the parish was confirmed by patent dated 24 Apr 1677. Melchior's son John Moore was an astute businessman and besides being a merchant in Dublin built up an estate in the parish of Drum through inheritance and acquisition. In 1723, following the death of John Moore, grandson of Melchior, the estate passed to his 4 sisters who married Thomas Arthur of Dublin, Andrew Bermingham of county Offaly, Thomas Hussey of county Kildare and James Sullivan of Dublin. In the early 1760s the descendants of the 4 sisters decided to formally divide the lands and by the late 1780s the Arthur quarter of the estate had been sold to the Hussey Walsh family.|
|Sheil||Captain Theobald Sheil held an estate on lease in the parish of Drum, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, from at least the 1830s to the 1850s, mainly from the Bermingham family, but also from Potts and Hussey Walsh families. He died in 1855 and by the early 1860s his estate was in the possession of the Hussey Walshes.|
|Bermingham (Drum)||Andrew Bermingham of Kilfylan, county Offaly, married Cathereine Moore of the parish of Drum, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, in 1713 and by this marriage the Berminghams became entitled to a quarter share of the Moore estate following the death of Catherine's brother John in 1723. In 1761 the Moore estate was officially divided and the Bermingham quarter consisting of Crannagh More, Keelty, part of Carrickynaghtan and Carrickynaghtan and Garrynagowna Bog, Inchinalee, was administered by William Walsh in the later part of the 18th century. For most of the early to mid 19th century the Bermingham lands were leased to Captain Theobald Sheil. William Sheil was a trustee of the marriage settlement of William Bermingham and Clarinda Fallon of Cloonagh, county Roscommon in 1791. From the 1860s the Bermingham lands were in the possession of William Hussey Walsh but reverted to Andrew Bermingham at the time of the sales of the Hussey Walsh estate in the 1870s and 1880s. In the 1870s Andrew William Birmingham of Kilfylan owned 750 acres in county Roscommon and 672 acres in King's county (county Offaly). The estate was advertised for sale in 1891 and sold to the tenants in 1903.|