The Lysters of Grange and Lysterfield, county Roscommon, descend from an Elizabethan settler Walter Lyster and his wife Deborah Osbaldeston.
|Smyth (New Park)||In 1808 Ralph Smyth of Barbaville, Collinstown, county Westmeath, married Eliza daughter and heiress of Matthew Lyster of New Park, county Roscommon. At the time of Griffith's Valuation their eldest son William Barlow Smyth of Barbaville, held 3 townlands in the parish of Ballindoon, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, previously part of the Bunowen estate of the O'Neills. Pádraig Lane states that Smyth bought 2,796 acres from the O'Neills. A copy conveyance in the Joyce, Mackie and Lougheed collection documents the William Barlow Smyth's purchase of Bunowenbeg from the O'Neills in 1852. The collection includes a rentroll of the Smyth's estate at Callow, Dolan, Bunowenbeg and part of Ballyconnelly, dated 19 November 1877. In the 1870s William Smyth of county Westmeath owned 2,449 acres in county Galway, 2,108 acres in county Westmeath and 478 acres in county Meath. William B. Smyth was succeeded by his brother Henry Mathew Smyth in 1886. Henry Smyth of New Park, county Roscommon, married a Coote of Ballyfin and at the time of Griffith's Valuation held lands in the parishes of Kiltoom and Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. In November 1860, over 1,800 acres in county Roscommon belonging to Henry Mathew Smyth were advertised for sale. The purchasers included Messers Gannon, Gaynor, Keogh and Meredith. On 9 June 1859 William Tuthill conveyed Drominagh to Frederick Smythe and in July 1870s Frederick Smythe put the estate up for sale in the Landed Estates' Court.|
|Longfield||At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Longfield's estate was in the parishes of Athleague and Fuerty, barony of Athlone, the parish of Kilnamanagh, barony of Frenchpark and the parish of Kiltullagh, barony of Castlereagh, county Roscommon. Rocksavage was owned by the Lysters and held by William Longfield under a fee farm grant dated 30 Jan 1851. Rocksavage was part of the Lyster estate offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1855. By the 1870s various members of the Longfield family, mostly with addresses in Dublin, held almost 4000 acres in county Roscommon, including Robert Longfield of Dublin who owned 2,448 acres. The estate of W. D. Longfield and others amounting to 3,728 acres was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 15 June 1907.|
|Lyster (Grange)||A branch of the Lysters resided at Grange, parish of Cam, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon in the early 18th century. In 1718 Thomas Lyster of Athleague married as his second wife Alice (nee Browne) widow of Dominick Meade of Tullyheady, county Tipperary, who was granted lands in counties Roscommon, Galway and Mayo in 1681. Thomas Lyster of Grange and later of Athleague had 2 sons, William of Athleague and Thomas of Grange. William Gacquin writes that the Lysters sold Grange, over 1,000 acres, in 1803 to John Farrell of Eccles Street, Dublin. Grange was in the possession of Daniel Ferrall by the time of Griffith's Valuation. In the 1850s John Lyster held land in the parish of Athleague, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. This estate was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in June 1855. Members of the 19th century generations of this family had careers in the Army and Navy.|
|Champagne||The Reverend Arthur Champagne was born in the early 1720s at Castle Forbes, county Longford. He was a grandson of Arthur Forbes, Earl of Granard and became Dean of Clonmacnoise. He married Mary Anne daughter of Colonel Isaac Honan or Homan and their daughter Jane married in 1767 Henry Paget Earl of Uxbridge. They also had a son another Reverend Arthur Champagne. Griffith's Valuation records that the Reverend Arthur Champagne held land in the parishes of Cam and Tisrara, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, in the 1850s, amounting to over a thousand acres. William Gacquin writes that Elizabeth Robinson Lyster leased land in the parish of Cam to the Reverend Arthur Champagne in 1776 and that this land was part of Champagne's marriage settlement with Mary Honan in 1788. The Champagnes leased their land in Cam to the Kelly family and did not reside in the county.|
|Lyster (Lysterfield)||The Lyster estate was in the parishes of Cam, Kiltoom and Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. The senior branch of the family resided at New Park in the parish of Kiltoom but the male line died out in 1806. In 1828 James Lyster of Lysterfield was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. By the mid 19th century the estate had been taken over by the Court of Chancery. Elizabeth Robinson Lyster who married Frederick Trench, Lord Ashtown in 1785 was a descendant of Anthony Lyster of Lysterfield who died in the 1740s. Descendants of Anthony's brother John resided at Lysterfield from the late 18th century and by the 1880s the head of the family was living in Ontario, Canada.|
|Ferrall (Co Roscommon)||In the early 19th century John Farrell or Ferrall acquired large tracts of land mainly in county Roscommon, including the Ormsby's Grange estate, parish of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South and land belonging to the Lysters in the parish of Cam, barony of Athlone. John Ferrall died in 1823 and was succeeded by his nephew, Daniel Henry Ferrall. In 1828 Daniel Farrell was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey Mr Kincaid of Dublin was agent to some of Daniel Farrell's estate. Desmond Norton's book refers to letters concerning the administration of D.H. Ferrall's estates during the Famine period by Stewart and Kincaid, land agents. Joseph Kincaid held two townlands in the parish of Kilcooley, barony of Roscommon at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Daniel H. Ferrall died in 1853 and was succeeded by his four sisters and their descendants, the Nolan, Taaffe, Conmee and Irwin families. By the time of Griffith's Valuation the representatives of Daniel Ferrall held land in the parishes of Cam and Kiltoom, barony of Athlone, Kilcolagh, barony of Frenchpark, Baslick, barony of Castlereagh, Cloonygormican, barony of Ballymoe, Kilglass, barony of Ballintober North, Kilteevan, Kilbride and Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South, Killukin, barony of Boyle and Bumlin, Kilcooley, Ogulla, barony of Roscommon. In June 1859 over 10,000 acres in counties Sligo and Roscommon, belonging to Louisa Bridget Taaffe, wife of Edmond Taaffe, Henry Taaffe Ferrall and John Nolan Ferrall, were advertised for sale. Lands in the barony of Corran, county Sligo, the property of John Ferrall, were offered for sale in December 1859. Unsold parts of the county Roscommon estate were advertised for sale again on 24 June 1862 and again in February 1863. Over 1,200 acres of the same estate in the barony of Castlereagh were offered for sale in May 1867 and 1,800 acres of the Frenchpark part of the estate in April 1868 and February 1869. Again in July 1875 over 900 acres of the Ferrall estate in the barony of Frenchpark was advertised for sale. In the 1870s Major Henry Taaffe Ferrall of Moylurg, Boyle, owned 5,140 acres in county Roscommon. In 1906 Beechwood was occupied by Clare M. Nolan who also held untenanted lands mainly in the parish of Kilteevan, barony of Ballintober South. Over 1,200 acres belonging to Clare M. Nolan were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 25 June 1912.|