Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Keatinge


Estate(s)

Name Description
Kirwan (Hillsbrook) The Kirwans of Hillsbrook, a branch of the Kirwans of Cregg, were established in the parish of Killererin, barony of Clare, county Galway, by the late 17th century. Their estate of 2,264 acres was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1855 but was not sold as the same acreage was advertised again in 1863. A newspaper cutting, with the sale rental of 1863 in the National Archives, gives details of the sale of five lots to three purchasers, a Mr Burke, Mr E. Bradley and Patrick Joseph Kelly. The remaining lots were offered for sale again in November 1864.
Keatinge (Co Galway) The Denn Keatinge family were originally of Tennypark, county Kilkenny. In the 1870s Michael D. Keatinge of Woodsgift, county Kilkenny owned 1,211 acres in county Galway and 1,912 acres in county Kilkenny. Woodsgift was previously a St George property. Keating married in 1892 as his second wife Elizabeth daughter of Henry Blake. In 1906 Michael D. Keating held part of Hillsbrook Demesne as untenanted land in the parish of Killererin, barony of Clare, county Galway.
Keatinge (Co Tipperary) ''Burke's Family Records'' refers to John Keatinge of Garranlea, Cashel, county Tipperary who farmed 13,000 acres in county Tipperary in the mid 18th century. In 1762, his son, Michael Keatinge of Millicent, county Kildare, married Maria De Burgh and held lands in counties Limerick, Clare and Tipperary. In 1770s he is described as being in financial difficulties "greatly embarrassed" and his farms worth £1,500 (Kilboy Papers). His younger brother, Bryan, of Cork, married into the Sheedy family of Cork and the Westropp family of county Clare. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Keating held land in the parish of Rathkeale, barony of Connello Lower, county Limerick and the representatives of Michael D. Keatinge held land in the parish of Carrick, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary while Leonard and James Keating held land in the parishes of Knockgraffon and Baptistgrange, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. Michael Keating was the proprietor of the county Limerick land at the time of the first Ordnance Survey. In the 1870s Henry S[heehy] Keating of Limerick owned 971 acres in county Tipperary, Michael Keating of Hotel, Cahir owned 587 acres in the same county and Michael D. Keating of Woodsgift House, county Kilkenny owned 1,211 acres in county Galway and 1,912 acres in county Kilkenny.