Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Brett (Tobercurry)

Description

Bretts were land agents but also owned substantial estates in Leyny barony, Sligo


Estate(s)

Name Description
Brett (Tobercurry) The Brett family acted as land agents in the Tobercurry area dealing with land in the parishes of Achonry and Kilmacteige. John Brett, land agent, gave evidence before the Devon Commission on land holding in July 1844. From Griffith's Valuation it would appear that John Brett leased property from the Wynne, Taaffe, Ormsby and Wingfield estates in the Baronies of Lyney and Corran. He was also leasing a house in the town of Tobercurry to the value of £16 15s from the Irwin estate. John and Henry Brett are recorded as owning over 1500 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. In 1876 over 400 acres of the Brett estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court including lands at Tullycusheenmore, barony of Leyny and houses in the town of Tobercurry. The family vault is in Achonry Graveyard where a John Brett was laid to rest in 1871.
Brett (Killasser) By 1876 Henry Brett a civil engineer with addresses in counties Dublin and Wicklow, owned 1322 acres in the parish of Killasser, barony of Gallen, county Mayo. A very small amount of untenanted land in the townland of Cullin part of the former Nolan Ferrall estate still belonged to his representatives in 1906.