Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Stannus

Description

In 1856 Walter Trevor Stannus of Lisburn, county Antrim, married the Honourable Catherine Geraldine Fitzgerald Vesey 4th daugher of Lord Fitzgerald and Vesey and in 1857 his brother the Reverend Beauchamp Walter Stannus married the Honourable Mabella Geraldine Fitzgerald Vesey eldest daughter of Lord Fitzgerald and Vesey. The two Stannus brothers were younger sons of the Reverend James Stannus, Dean of Ross and rector of Lisburn.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fitzgerald/Vesey Fitzgerald Catherine Vesey Fitzgerald was elevated to the peerage of Ireland as Baroness Fitzgerald and Vesey in 1826. Her father, the Reverend Henry Vesey, was Warden of Galway and a great, great grandson of John Vesey, Archbishop of Tuam. She and her sister eventually succeeded to the estates of her father and uncles, John and Agmondisham Vesey. Her eldest son William succeeded her as Baron Fitzgerald and Vesey and died unmarried in 1843. In 1853 his executor advertised for sale lands in the baronies of Clare and Tiaquin, county Galway, amounting to almost 4,000 acres. The lands in the barony of Tiaquin were bought by the Reverend George Salmon and those in the barony of Clare by the Very Reverend Henry Vesey Fitzgerald, Dean of Kilmore, brother of Willliam and his successor as Baron Fitzgerald and Vesey. His county Galway estate was in the parishes of Belclare and Lackagh, barony of Clare and in the parish of Tuam, barony of Dunmore, while his county Clare estate was mainly in the parishes of Inchicronan, barony of Bunratty Upper and Kilkeedy, barony of Inchiquin. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Standish O'Grady of county Limerick and had 5 daughters. He died in 1860. His daughters appear to have succeeded to his county Galway estates while his sister Letitia Foster Vesey Fitzgerald's children succeeded to the county Clare estate. In the 1870s his representatives owned 1,437 acres in county Galway while Walter Trevor Stannus is recorded as owning 2976 acres. Two of the Baron's daughters married sons of the Very Reverend James Stannus, Dean of Ross, and the 5,678 acre estate of M.G. Stannus and others in county Galway was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 5 March 1914. The sale of 1,567 acres belonging to Mary G. Fitzgerald and others to the Congested Districts' Board was proceeding in 1909. P. Lane writes that Martin McDonnell bought almost 6,000 acres of Lord Fitzgerald's property around the town of Dunmore in the early 1850s.
Stannus Walter Trevor Stannus of the Manor House, Lisburn, county Antrim is recorded as the owner of almost 6000 acres in county Galway in the ''Landowners of Ireland'' of the mid 1870s. He was married to Catherine, one of the daughters of the Reverend Henry Vesey Fitzgerald, Dean of Kilmore and 2nd Baron Vesey Fitzgerald. Two of the Baron's daughters married sons of the Very Reverend James Stannus, Dean of Ross, and the 5,678 acre estate of M.G. Stannus and others in county Galway was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 5 March 1914.