Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fowler


Estate(s)

Name Description
Dodwell The Dodwell family were present in Sligo since the 17th century. . In 1800 Frances Dodwell of Carrowgarry married Alexander Crichton from which time that estate was in the possession of the Crichton family. Kevinsfort was the home of various other families at different times in the 19th century, including Capt. George Dodwell. He acted as agent to some of the large estates such as the Gore-Booths and the Ormsbys. Christopher L'Estrange, described as a land agent, was based at Kevinsfort in 1878. In the 1870s James Crofton Dodwell of Shankill House, near Bray, Co Dublin and of Glenmore, Coolaney, county Sligo, owned 1,573 acres in county Sligo and 334 acres in county Mayo. The Dodwell family also had property in County Galway and were married into many influential families in Connacht. Victoria Dodwell is recorded as one of the principal lessors of property in the parish of Boyle, county Roscommon, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In 1906 Malby Crofton Dodwell was the owner of over 1300 acres in at Carrownaskeagh, barony of Leyny, as well as buildings valued at £11. In 1912 M.C. Dodwell and others accepted an offer from the Congested Districts Board on almost 200 acres of their Galway estate. At the same time an offer was accepted from the Board on over 1400 acres of the Sligo estate.
Fowler In the mid 19th century the representatives of Jasper V. Fowler held the townlands of Carrowreagh East and West, parish of Abbeyknockmoy, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. This property was involved in a case in the Court of Chancery Fowler v Fowler. Undivided shares of Carrowreagh were put up for sale in the Landed Estates' Court by Roger Dodwell in 1867 and 1873 and by James Henry Patrickson, administrator of Edward Jones, in April 1869. In the latter half of the 19th century the Fowler estate amounted to 752 acres.