Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gore

Family title

Baronet


Estate(s)

Name Description
Reilly (Glennamaddy) Patrick Reilly held 3 townlands in the parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the mid 1850s and Patrick and Michael Reilly both had houses in the town of Glennamaddy. Michael Reilly of Glennamaddy owned 3,631 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. His estate amounting to 3,726 acres was offered for sale in December 1880 by the trustees of his will. The estate was dispersed throughout the parishes of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe and Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin. Pádraig Lane writes that Michael Reilly of Glan bought some of the property of Bartholomew Kelly in 1856. It is also evident that he bought land formerly in the possession of William Ball, Sir St George Gore and Robert E. Bredin.
Gore (Baronet) In the mid 1850s Sir St George Gore, 8th Baronet, held at least 15 townlands in the parishes of Boyounagh, Dunmore and Templetogher, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway. This branch of the Gore family had inherited the estates of Sir Richard St George of Dunmore, county Galway through a marriage in the early 18th century with a niece of Sir Richard's, namely Elizabeth Ashe, daughter of the Reverend St George Ashe, Bishop of Clogher. Sir George St George, father of Richard, had been granted over 8,000 acres in the baronies of Dunmore, Ballymoe and Tiaquin by patent dated 18 Dec 1666. In the late 18th century Sir Ralph Gore, 6th baronet and Earl of Ross from 1771, sold the Dunmore part of his county Galway estates to Sir George Shee. In 1872 estates in counties Limerick (1,657 acres), Galway (4,139 acres), King's County [county Offaly], Cavan, Dublin and Meath, belonging to Sir St George Gore, totaling over 9,000 acres, were advertised for sale. The county Galway estate was the largest amounting to 4,139 acres in the barony of Ballymoe. By March 1916 the Gores had accepted an offer from the Congested Districts' Board for over 2,500 acres of their county Galway estate. The Gores county Limerick estate was in the parish of Kildimo, barony of Kenry. St George Gore acted as agent to his father Sir Ralph Gore, London, in the early 1840s. The Westropps of Mellon leased the Gore estate in county Limerick.
St George (Dunmore) Sir George St George, second son of Sir George St George of Carrickdrumrusk, county Leitrim, was granted over 8,000 acres in the baronies of Dunmore, Ballymoe and Tiaquin by patent dated 18 Dec 1666. He maried Elizabeth Hannay and had 2 sons and a number of daughters. When his son Sir Richard St George died without heirs in 1726 the estate passed to the Gore family by the marriage of Sir George's granddaughter Elizabeth to Sir Ralph Gore of Manor Gore, county Donegal [1720s]. Their second son Sir Ralph Gore became Earl of Ross in 1771 and sold part of the estate to Sir George Shee at the end of the 18th century.
Keaveny In the 1879s Malachi Keaveny owned 724 acres in county Galway. His address was Stonepark, Glenamaddy. Stonepark, parish of Boyounagh, barony of Ballymoe, was part of the estate of Sir St George Gore at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Malachi Keaveny still owned untenanted land at Stonepark in 1906.
Westropp (Mellon) The Westropps of Mellon, county Limerick are descended from Mountiford, second son of Thomas Westropp of Mellon who died circa 1744. In 1813 Mountiford's grandson also named Mountiford married Jane daughter of Charles Dawson of Charlesfort, county Wexford. Mrs Jane Westropp held townlands in the parishes of Kildimo and Ardcanny, barony of Kenry in the early 1850s, some of them were leased from Sir St George Gore. Her son Dawson Westropp succeeded to Mellon and his younger brother inherited the Dawson property in county Wexford (Westropp-Dawson family). Dawson L. Westropp owned 930 acres in county Limerick in the 1870s. His granddaughters were still in possession of Mellon and Cartown in the 1970s. Henry Westropp of Richmond Villa was a grandson of Thomas Westropp of Mellon. His grandson Henry Westropp of Green Park, was High Sheriff of Limerick in 1865 and Member of Parliament for Bridgewater.