Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Thewles


Estate(s)

Name Description
La Touche The La Touche family owned extensive estates in Kildare and Wicklow as well as property interests in Dublin City. They had houses at Harristown, county Kildare and Bellevue, Delgany, county Wicklow. McParlan records that in 1802 David LaTouche and his brothers were non-resident proprietors in county Leitrim. In 1856 Francis La Touche was leasing Drumhierny Lodge from William La Touche. He was a member of the Grand Jury for Leitrim in 1851. At the same time John & Peter La Touche were listed as the lessors of several townlands in the parishes of Cloone & Drumreilly, barony of Mohill. William La Touche was the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Rossinver, barony of Rosclogher in 1856. Between them members of the La Touche family owned amost 12,000 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Messrs Latouch held land in the parishes of Kilmoylan, barony of Shanid and Athneasy, barony of Coshlea, county Limerick. Robert Latouch was the proprietor of the lands in the parish of Athneasy circa 1840. In the mid 19th century members of the La Touche family held land in the county Cork parishes of Drumtarriff and Kilshannig, barony of Duhallow and Peter David La Touche held six townlands in the parish of Courney, barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary, much of it let to William Mason. John La Touche held land in the county Tipperary baronies of Slievardagh, Eliogarty and Upper Ormond, most of his land was in the parish of Buolick. Peter La Touche of Dublin owned 905 acres in county Cork and William La Touche of Dublin owned 679 acres in the same county in the 1870s while William R. La Touche and David C. La Touche both of Bray, county Wicklow owned 1,347 acres and 289 acres respectively in county Tipperary.
Kelly (Rookwood) This family is well recorded in Vera Hughes' book. Crofton Kelly and his wife Elizabeth Threwles were the parents of Edmund Kelly born 1765. Edmund became a successful lawyer and lived at Rookwood, a property previously leased by his uncle John Thewles. In the late 1820s Edmund retired and married Sarah. In 1828 he is recorded as a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. Edmund Kelly was a very wealthy man and in his will of 1837 mentioned his estates in counties Roscommon, Galway, Westmeath and in Sussex, England. In 1840 he bought a property at Ballinderry, Moate, county Westmeath from Lord Clonbrock and died 5 years later. Many legal battles followed his death as various Kelly family members laid claim to his estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Kellys owned land in the parishes of Killinvoy, Kiltoom, Rahara, St Johns and Tisrara, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon and in the parish of Athleague, county Galway. Sarah Kelly was shot at Ballinderry in 1856. She left her Kiltoom property to her Strevans nephews and her Rookwood estate to her nephew Robert Bayley. In the 1870s Robert Preston Bayley of Rookwood, owned 294 acres in county Galway, 2,590 acres in county Roscommon and 284 acres in county Westmeath; Thomas H. Strevens owned 1,258 acres and George Strevans owned 518 acres in county Roscommon.
Thewles In the 18th century Wentworth Thewles of Harristown, Co Kildare, owned lands in counties Mayo, Leitrim and Roscommon. The banking family of La Touche were in possession of much of his estate by the end of the century. In the mid 19th century the representatives of James Thewles held an estate in the parish of Athleague, barony of Killian, county Galway and John E. Thewles held land in the parishes of Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South, Cloonfinlough and Killukin, barony of Roscommon, county Roscommon. The estate of John Edmond Thewles in the baronies of Ballintober South and Roscommon was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in November 1858. In the 1870s Audley C. Thewles of Rugby, England, owned 838 acres in county Roscommon. In the 1870s the representatives of James Thewles held over 2000 acres in county Galway.